tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harriet

Aquarium Advice Regular
my new tank is 4 weeks through it’s cycle and only has 8 zebra danios in it and i was wondering if i could add any other fish yet the fish being added i already have they are just going in a bigger tank it’s 2 corys and a pleco and i will be doing 25% water changes everyday ammonia and nitrites never seem to go past 0.25 whenever i test so would it be okay to put them in now or should i wait? i know they could be sensitive to the ammonia and nitrites my pleco has been through a cycle before (unknowingly) when he was super super small but he is around 5 inches now i will be keeping the old tank up and running so if i see any changes in behaviour i’ll be able to easily move them into it

Roger's advice is solid in practice. However, if you have a precipitous nature, like me, adding a fish SHOULD work fine.

my new tank is 4 weeks through it’s cycle and only has 8 zebra danios in it and i was wondering if i could add any other fish yet the fish being added i already have they are just going in a bigger tank it’s 2 corys and a pleco and i will be doing 25% water changes everyday ammonia and nitrites never seem to go past 0.25 whenever i test so would it be okay to put them in now or should i wait? i know they could be sensitive to the ammonia and nitrites my pleco has been through a cycle before (unknowingly) when he was super super small but he is around 5 inches now i will be keeping the old tank up and running so if i see any changes in behaviour i’ll be able to easily move them into it

This hobby is all about doing things sensibly and slowly. If you’re changing water and monitoring your fish daily then you have good controls in place to mitigate any risk of ammonia poisoning. Just be sensible.

Back
Top Bottom