Tank cycling ammonia after several years of no problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisinla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My goldfish tank has been cycling ammonia for a few weeks now. It’s a 50 gallon tank with 4 goldfish. I did have lots of anacharis plants in there but I took them out bc I didn’t want their die off ( very slowly by the way) to promote the ammonia cycle. A very strange thing is that the fish have not been gasping for air as I expected. I’ve check with 2 test kits ( same brand/ type) and they both say that ammonia is rising. So I ended up getting another bag of ceramic media and added to the canister filter and another large bag of media to the aquaclear. I still have this cycling. It says around 2 pts per million. What should I do?

4 goldfish is a very high bioload for a 50g tank, this will make it a lot of work to cycle.

Can you post your other water parameters. pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

You should be doing water changes to keep your ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. Say 25% if it goes over 0.5ppm combined, or 50% if it goes over 1.0ppm combined. Your ammonia is at 2.0ppm so i would be doing daily 50% changes or twice daily 25% changes till you get it down below 0.5ppm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom