Tank cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylvr11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I woke up this morning and my tank walls are hazy. Is my tank cycling? Do I need to take my guppies out for this time and do water changes?

The water is clear it just seems to be the tank walls that are foggy

Like stated above, your water parameters are necessary to determine the phase of cycling you are currently in.

I went to the local fish store and they wouldn't give me numbers but the said the ammonia level was perfect but the nitrite level was high

I asked about nitrates but they told me they only test ammonia and nitrite levels

I asked about nitrates but they told me they only test ammonia and nitrite levels

They told me to do a 50% water change but can my guppies be in the tank while this is happening?

Yes your guppies can be in the tank during a water change.
It will be a lot easier to know what is going on if you have your own testing kit. Sounds like a strange fish store that doesn't test nitrAtes and won't tell you numbers! Without knowing your nitrite levels, I'd say do a 50% water change every day until nitrItes read zero. Nitrites are dangerous for fish, and it sounds like you might be in the nitrite spike phase of a cycle.

That's not good service, imo.
Anyway, you should have, if not a test kit, at least 5 in 1 test strips, nitrite strips and ammonia strips on hand anyway. Levels do need to be checked from time to time. You can get those 3 strip tests at Walmart, and most pet stores will also sell kits.

As to the WC and the fish in the tank, I gave you a link to an excellent article that should help you with those questions and more.

Dont forget to dose Prime it helps lower down amonia & nitrites. I had that exp before when my water was hazy and my fish was on top of water gasping for air. Good thing i invested in api test kit and found this forum. I did all the necessary things to keep my fish alive & healthy while my tank was cycling. Watch nitrogen cycle on youtube,i think i have watched all of the videos about nitrogen cycle while my tank is cycling lol.

Thanks guys I started adding prime yesterday how often should I add it. I have a master test kit coming Wednesday (found it $15 cheaper online than in store).

Read the directions on the bottle for dosing frequency. Just note that prime will detoxify the ammonia but it doesn't remove it so it will still show on your test until the bacteria can break it down.

Back
Top Bottom