Tank filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

I would like to get a 20 gallon fowlr saltwater tank and do not want a sump. Do I have to have one? If not, what do equipment do I need with no sump?

Thanks!

No, you dont need a sump. Live rock will act as the main means of filtration. Also your sand bed (avoid crushed coral). Adding a skimmer would be helpful, as would modding a HOB filter into a refugeum. Of course you will need a heater also, and a powerhead.

You don't need one but is there a particular reason you don't want a sump? I went with a sumpless 20g reef tank and was kicking myself for it after I got my tank up and running after a while. Adding a refugium made taking care of my tank soo much easier, not to mention I don't have to look at an ugly skimmer and heater in my tank anymore.

You could skip a skimmer but it will make your life much easier if you add one to your tank.

+1. Used to run my 29 sumpless with an AC filter. Hated how all the equipment was inside the DT. I didn't drill because my tank was already up and running so I just got an Eshopps overflow and sump. Loved it the minute it was in operation. All equipment in sump and tank looks so much cleaner. Also, with WC's you can pump and refill right from your sump.

Is there anywhere I can get sump ideas

I have a 75 gal but under my stand space is limited to how big I can build .
I would like to have all the ugly equipment out of my DT

Back
Top Bottom