tank has ich..please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has ich thanks to the black neon tetras I got a week ago...they have it at the store now...didn't see it when I bought them....:-( didn't help that my water parameters got out of wack from over feeding...parameters are normal now

I am putting up the tank temp and treating with a product called maracide it has malachite green and chitosan in it. I read the instructions and didnt seen anything about loches so I put the recommended dose in
I'm at 82 degrees in 4 hours. Normally at 78

Is this too fast?!?
And am I going to kill my loaches?! I also have shrimp, cheap ghosts that won't be a big loss but I like them!!

Will this med alter my test results...it also says to not do water changes...but looking online it says this is a spot on product that treats the fish not the water...

I'm so confused

ForumRunner_20130827_225110.jpg

My tank has ich thanks to the black neon tetras I got a week ago...they have it at the store now...didn't see it when I bought them....:-( didn't help that my water parameters got out of wack from over feeding...parameters are normal now

I am putting up the tank temp and treating with a product called maracide it has malachite green and chitosan in it. I read the instructions and didnt seen anything about loches so I put the recommended dose in
I'm at 82 degrees in 4 hours. Normally at 78

Is this too fast?!?
And am I going to kill my loaches?! I also have shrimp, cheap ghosts that won't be a big loss but I like them!!

Will this med alter my test results...it also says to not do water changes...but looking online it says this is a spot on product that treats the fish not the water...

I'm so confused

Increase temp to about 85-86ish. I used a product called Quick Cure and it got rid of my ich super fast.

No need for any of that. To treat:
To treat ich: Raise the temp to 86-88f. No less than 86. 90 is too high. Increase aeration. The higher the temp the less oxygen the water holds. Increase water change and gravel vacs. Leave the temp up for at least one week after the last spot is seen. Medication and salt is not usually needed. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Already treated with one thing should I use another...I was gonna see if this worked after the first series of 3 treatments with this med..I may half the dose the next 2 treatments tho. Says to do one at 3 days then another at 5 days

No need for any of that. To treat:

I may continue with this med as I already started it..I don't know if ich does what bacteria does in humans and grows stronger/more resistant if treatments are not completed...

I am heating up the tank though

Are the fish showing any signs of stress from the heat? Gasping at the surface or rapid breathing?

None are doing that but they are all stressed by being pale and darty I'm trying to keep the light off but I also need to see them...:-( I'm checking the tank every hour...(till tomorrow when I have to sleep and work)

I just did a partial water change with gravel vacuum. Only like 4-5 gallons because I wanted to get some of the med out but not too much and get the water level lower so the filter made more of a waterfall I have a 37 gallon tank. All of the fish were sitting near the gravel very pale we are at about 85 now (and that is the degree the water comes out of my faucet as)

So I haven't touched the tank for 25 hrs at the proper temp...88/89 the fish are doing well it seems. They do look a lot less stressed and no mor casualties....Question should I do the second dose of maracide (im thinking half of the first does)...the fish with the worst infection still has the most..but he's swimmining in the school again we will see. I know I'm stressin out over 1 dollar fish. But I don't want to hurt them cuz I wasn't ready for ich yet lol

How are the fishies faring April?
Thanks for asking!
They are doing very well! All are acting normal and eating. I still won't feed them as much yet so they are literally jumping out of the water when I put food in. I'm sticking at 85 degrees till saturday. The water still has med in it as it has dyed my clear air tube I did not add more because of the improvement and the fact that I think that is what killed one fish. I wish I never gave it. I think I lost one shrimp too but everyone else is happy so far!

Oh and I will add my new filter on Saturday too it has carbon in it an aquaclear 70 ...I don't feel its good to add new until I'm done treating

Great news! They have to be feeling strong to be so eager to get the food. Lol.
What did you end up treating with? Just heat or meds/salt also?

No salt cuz I have loaches. I did one dose of malachite green based med called maracide. Which is still in the tank cuz the water is still blue tinted I did only one dose cuz of it killing a fish and I didn't know my shrimps and loaches were so sensitive. I made the tank 88-89℉ for 4 and a half days then now at 85-86℉ ill take the med out when I'm down to my normal 78℉ with putting the carbon back in

No salt cuz I have loaches. I did one dose of malachite green based med called maracide. Which is still in the tank cuz the water is still blue tinted I did only one dose cuz of it killing a fish and I didn't know my shrimps and loaches were so sensitive. I made the tank 88-89℉ for 4 and a half days then now at 85-86℉ ill take the med out when I'm down to my normal 78℉ with putting the carbon back in

Cool (y)

Back
Top Bottom