Tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently acquired a free 5 gal tank (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IP.PCbPZV04SH) that I was thinking of moving my betta to, but thought I’d see if anyone had any other ideas. It’ll still likely be a few months before I do anything with it because I’ll be moving soon and it doesn’t make sense to set it up and then to have to figure it how to move it. Open to pretty much anything, although I gather the light isn’t appropriate for a planted tank as is.

That's fun!

Maybe
Betta, or
Shrimp,
Or Chili Rasbora, or other Micro Rasbora
Scarlet Badis
Pea Puffer
Some kinds of Killifish like Least Killifish

Moving fish in a small tank is not difficult.

I know it’s not super difficult to move a small tank, but it seems like more work than necessary. I just finished grad school and will be hopefully starting a new job soon (anyone know anyone looking for a PA in New Orleans?) and then moving once I have a paycheck, so adding one more thing to contend with seems an unnecessary complication. I also don’t really have a place to put this tank at the moment. It’s in storage at the moment.

I like the idea of pea puffers, but from what I’m reading they need at least a 10 gallon tank. What I have is listed as 5 gallons, which once you factor in substrate and decor is more like 4ish gallons. Thoughts?

Good catch on the Pea puffer tank size, I know I read that some where. Never having kept them myself not speaking from personal experience.

After reading a bit more you are right 10G seems preferred. Many do a trio of them 1M /2F in a 10G.

Anything else pique your interests?

Nice call on waiting to set up the tank. If you are looking for some good colors, a pair of livebearers is a good choice. I would recommend 24-karat tuxedo platies (pictures below) , Dalmation mollies, and guppies.
IMG_0020.jpg

With a tank that small its best to be safe and keep your options limited. 1 pea puffer wouldnt be to much issue, the tank is to small for a betta honestly, and if it was me theres really only two options.

Chili rasboras (2 would be fine)
Shrimp tank (10 would be fine)

You might be able to put two dwarf frogs in there. Also one honey gourmai maybe?

These are just my thoughts, I would hate to be a fish in an area that is so small.

If you decide to add a pea puffer, be careful. Another fun idea is adding Endler’s Livebearers. They are a tiny version of guppies and you could probably fit three or four in a 5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom