Tank just cycled and algea is appearing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomoisawatergod

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi
I have just cycled my tank (well say JUST, but it has been two weeks now) and every thing has seemed to go with no hitches. Brilliant!

But apon looking into my tank today, I have found that there is algea building up on some areas of the tank, filter and plants. This is not so brilliant. I have had an algea problem before with almost fatal consequences. DO NOT want it to happen again!

So I guess my question is, is there any way of reducing or getting rid of the algea???

I have a 15 galolon tank at the moment, which is planted. Currently it houses 6 silver tip tetras.
(Will get more but the econamy won't let me untill pay day!)

Any help will be mucho appreciated

:)

Hi! What does your algae look like? Is it brown and kind of powdery, and easy to rub off of surfaces in the tank? If so, it is probably diatoms. Diatoms are very common in new tanks and most often subside on their own.

I am a bit confused that you mentioned a previous algae outbreak that resulted in "fatal consequences". Algae itself isn't going to harm fish or invertebrates. Perhaps there was something else going on there.

If you could get a photo of the algae in question, I'm sure we could help you figure out what it is. :)

Hi
I have just cycled my tank (well say JUST, but it has been two weeks now) and every thing has seemed to go with no hitches. Brilliant!

But apon looking into my tank today, I have found that there is algea building up on some areas of the tank, filter and plants. This is not so brilliant. I have had an algea problem before with almost fatal consequences. DO NOT want it to happen again!

So I guess my question is, is there any way of reducing or getting rid of the algea???

I have a 15 galolon tank at the moment, which is planted. Currently it houses 6 silver tip tetras.
(Will get more but the econamy won't let me untill pay day!)

Any help will be mucho appreciated

:)

If you can spend $10, I would but plants for the tank. Plants will beat out algae for nutrients. The plants will grow while the algae dies off due to not having enough 'food.'

Hopefully this doesn't break any TOS. I recently received plants from ebay. It took over a week to get them. They are better than I ever expected from a plant that travels that long. In less than one week I am seeing new stems and leaves growing on all the plants.

Echinodorus amazonicus x 9 stalks (FREE Ship !!) | eBay

When I said fatal, I ment stubbon! alot of algea in the tank. Hard to remove.

It is green algea, kinda wispy. Stringy almost.

Like I said its not a problem atm, but I just plainly don't like the look of it!

Would a pleco help. I was thinking along the lines of a pitball plec?

Back
Top Bottom