Tank light hurting fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickstanley995

Aquarium Advice Activist
My convicts seem to be more active in the dark then when i have the light on. It is just a plain fluorescent bulb looks like. Came with the tank. When the lights on they stay still mostly and are less active, but as soon as i turn it off they swim all over. Could this be a weird behavioral and personality thing? Or is the light hurting them?

Make sure you have enough hiding and retreating places in your tank. If they have enough and feel secure they will be less shy. Also the lights are for our benefit not theirs. They do prefer lights off.

i do have lots of hiding spots. just got them a few days ago so they are probably still getting use to the tank. just wanted to make sure my lights werent hurting them or anything.

My fish went into hiding not that along ago. They were basically telling me to check my parameters. Well. Nitrates were super high!0.o

i do have lots of hiding spots. just got them a few days ago so they are probably still getting use to the tank. just wanted to make sure my lights werent hurting them or anything.

They maybe still getting used to the new environment. As said, bad water will cause this among other things as well. What size is your tank, stock, water parameters, filtration, and water change routine?

35g. Parameters are A-0 trite-0 and trate-5ppm. Was told by my lfs that was good. I have three unsexed juvies in there trying to find a pair. Looks like 2 females and 1 male though IMO, and I woke up this morning to bubbles in my tank? Is something going on? And I did a 25% when I got them and plan on doing 20-30% weekly wc. I think they already paired off personally, but its been three days? Is that too soon. Cause the one that now mainly stays still is the smaller "female". And she is being chased by both now. Should I take her out? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom