Tank lighting for medium to high light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ljlee256

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm still kinda new here but id like to ask about tank lighting. I essentially want to maintain or improve my light providence without having a funky color to everything in the tank.

I'm currently growing DHG, and so far its been successful, I think the light I have now is outputting quite well for DHG.

I'm using a 20watt t8 750lumen range bulb in a 30gal tank with approximately 20gal of water in it.

I already know the 2w/gal thing was based off t12 lighting and doesn't directly apply to more efficient lights, the proof is in the health of my DHG.

I'm just wondering how to provide the same quality of light without having a reddish hue to everything in the tank. Perhaps a dual 20w bulb setup, one at 750lumens and one at 550? But ive never been able to find a 550lumen bulb before. Do they exist in tube fluorescents?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-E971 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lumens are a useless measurement for aquarium lights. They don't give an actual strength measurement. Also, watts per gallon is fairly useless as well.

Could you post a pic of your DHG? Also, how long have you had it?

If you want light that doesn't look too red for your tastes. Look for bulbs with a frequency above 6500K. That is the bulb's temperature measured as Kelvins. OS.

Lumens are a useless measurement for aquarium lights. They don't give an actual strength measurement. Also, watts per gallon is fairly useless as well.

Thanks for the reply, lumens are just a spectrum measurement 750 being in the red spectrum which is good chlorophyll b(?) Photosynthesis. I want to avoid green and white light since it favors 650 lumens which doesn't help plants much. I will post some photos when I get a chance. Before I do I want to point out I'm not looking to make it grow as fast as possible or carpet quickly, it seems to be doing that on its own everytime I trim it.

If you want light that doesn't look too red for your tastes. Look for bulbs with a frequency above 6500K. That is the bulb's temperature measured as Kelvins. OS.

Cool, thanks OS!

Here's an image of one patch, its been growing approximately 2 months, its slowly sprouting new blades here and there whenever I clip it.

I also just swapped my 2700k for a 6700k bulb this evening, the color is much nicer.

Attachments

• 1398825720398.jpg
    1398825720398.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 53
Do some research into PAR. Photosynthetic Active Radiation, or the useable light at a given depth for photosynthesis.
The correct PAR matched with Old Scales' advise on kelvin rating will give you the light levels you require

Also in my opinion, no bashing intended, but your DHG doesnt look all that healthy. Its not very vibrant green

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom