tank lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal tank which I have a 2 bulb shop light of t8's. Right now the light sits on top of the glass tops. What my questions are:
1. I would like to hang the lighting, how far from the top of the tank do I hand them. (I have to keep the glass tops on them because I have hatchets and they LOVE to jump out)
2. Since I only have the 2 bulb t8's is this enough to be considered a low light tank. ( I have Java fern and few of Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Red) I would like to have some swords and maybe some Anubias, Ambulia, Bacopa australis. And some others. ( I use liquid fert and root tabs).
3. I do not have co2 maybe at a later time I could do it, just not right now.

I'm going to re-do the whole tank because it has to be moved so I will be going to a sand substrate soon. I need advice on my lighting issues. I do not understand lighting lingo so please be a simple answered as possible. Thank You

Yes your tank will support low light plants. My tank is a 55g like yours I have a 48" t8 and a 24" t8 that I had extra so I put it on. Since I have a glass lid as well it fit. I use excel, excel flourish and I use root tabs. The current plants in my tank are:
Java fern
Cabomba (not a low light plant but I got it for free. Crazy enough I notice daily growth even under my lighting)
Melon swords
Amazon swords
Wisteria
Anubias
Val
Another plant that I can't remember the name of
All of the plants in my tank are growing great and look healthy. Any of these plants could go in your tank. I wouldn't recommend the cabomba. I'm still planting my tank and I will be adding more plants soon. I'll post a pic soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom