Tank looks different.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richi106

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey.

My tank has been going for 3 months after 1 month it looked clear which you can see in the picture and now it looks not as clear and fuzzy.

I have lots of driftwood could this be the reason??

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-127909451.jpg
    image-127909451.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2476780567.jpg
    image-2476780567.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 96
If you added any driftwood then the driftwood will release tannins into the water, that is perfectly normal. Otherwise you might have an algae issue....

Tannins, is the reason for the tea coloring. It's actually beneficial to fish but most people don't like the look. So to remove it you can use a couple of thing. I recommend the first because purigen can be bought pre bag. Last for 3 to 6 months. Is rechargeable by soak in water/bleach solution. So one purchase should last a few years.
1)If you DO dose excel or fertz for your plant you would need to purigen. This will remove Tannins and toxins But leave the excel and fertz.
2) If you DON'T dose anything for plants then carbon can be used.

A bag of either in your filter will work.

The cloudiness looks like an algae bloom. What are your lvl's? light schedule? Also what filter are you using?

phishfriend said:
Tannins, is the reason for the tea coloring. It's actually beneficial to fish but most people don't like the look. So to remove it you can use a couple of thing. I recommend the first because purigen can be bought pre bag. Last for 3 to 6 months. Is rechargeable by soak in water/bleach solution. So one purchase should last a few years.
1)If you DO dose excel or fertz for your plant you would need to purigen. This will remove Tannins and toxins But leave the excel and fertz.
2) If you DON'T dose anything for plants then carbon can be used.

A bag of either in your filter will work.

The cloudiness looks like an algae bloom. What are your lvl's? light schedule? Also what filter are you using?

I do not use anything for plants. So if I put a bag of carbon in the filter it should go away?
I always read that with driftwood the water would be discoloured but not this much:/
All levels are fine. Any u need to know in particular???

Light schedule is 7 hours each day.
The tank is new aquaone 620 with standard lights and filter system.

Cheers

How new? Is it cycled? The carbon will work for the tannin. Water changes for the cloudy look. Also how often do you feed?

phishfriend said:
How new? Is it cycled? The carbon will work for the tannin. Water changes for the cloudy look. Also how often do you feed?

Ive had it for 3 months. I had another tank and transferred the fish and water and put the exsisting hang on filter for one month to help the cycle.so am sure it's cycled:/? All levels are fine. .
How often water changes? I do 25% every 2 weeks.
I feed 5 days on spectrum 3 pelts per fish and then a cucumber on a Sunday.

In my opinion the most likely scenario is that the carbon just became inactive and stopped taking the tannins out of the water. Replacing the carbon or like was previously said about the purigen should fix the problem. I am dealing with the same thing from my driftwood currently.

Ok, use the carbon. Cut feedings back to every other day. I would also start doing a water change every week. If you tank is fully stocked, up the amount changes to 35%.

I know it's little extra work but I promise you will see a difference with in two weeks. Plus you and your fish will be happier! ;-)

phishfriend said:
Ok, use the carbon. Cut feedings back to every other day. I would also start doing a water change every week. If you tank is fully stocked, up the amount changes to 35%.

I know it's little extra work but I promise you will see a difference with in two weeks. Plus you and your fish will be happier! ;-)

Right so I got to the local aquarium and ask for carbon? And put it in the filter??

The tank is fully stocked so 35% water change every week is fine:) do I do gravel clean every 2 weeks still??

Thanks for the help!:)

Right so I got to the local aquarium and ask for carbon? And put it in the filter??

The tank is fully stocked so 35% water change every week is fine:) do I do gravel clean every 2 weeks still??

Thanks for the help!:)

yes, use pantyhose or a bag they sell and put it in the filter.

That changing schedule will work well

image-1657303545.jpg

Got new carbon today and tank looks 100% better.

Thanks for the help!!!:)

No problem :) I boiled the crap out of my driftwood and it helped a lot with pulling out tannins. But carbon works pretty well too. You just need to remember to keep up on changing it every month or so for it to keep working as it should

Back
Top Bottom