Tank Mates for Green Terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

collinb03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a green terror who is about 3.5" and a common pleco that is about the same size inside a 20 gal long tank (30x12x12). My GT continues to nip at the pleco's fins and I think it is because the GT likes the driftwood area that the pleco is in. I was wondering if another reason why is because it is a long tank so the GT does not have as much room to swim higher as well.

I also want to get another fish or two, but I am hesitant because I do not want to choose fish that my GT will try to attack. I was thinking some faster fish who stay higher up in the tank?

I know that my tank will be too small for my GT eventually, I am just waiting because I am saving up my money to get a 50 gal.

The problem with anything bigger than a 55 gallon is my apartment won't allow it. Should I continue to pursue this fish or should I find a new home for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Males can exceed 10" (I have seen one 11.5" head to tail) and will do best in a 75 minimum. Females generally stay smaller and could do in a 55 if you had too. If you're really wanting a GT, get the 55g ASAP and transfer it. You could at least grow it out for a while as GT's growth rate is super slow. I've had mine around 3 months and can tell no difference in size

Jesse

Also ditch the common pleco NOW. It needs an even bigger tank than the GT. they can reach like 20+ inches as an adult. Also producing massive amounts of waste.

Edit: if you really want a pleco I'd do some research and shoot for a smaller species such as a clown or bristlenose.

Get rid of the pleco. You don't need it for algea clean up as many people think. They actually create more waste than other fish giving nutrients for the algea to grow.

A 55 gallon will be fine. Green Terrors can max out at 12". However 8"-10" is most common and take foooreeeever to get there. I think they are one of the slowest growing fish it will take many many years for it to need more than a 55 if ever.

This thread pretty much sums up GT growth.
The Truth about Green Terror Growth? | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Get rid of the pleco. You don't need it for algea clean up as many people think. They actually create more waste than other fish giving nutrients for the algea to grow.

A 55 gallon will be fine. Green Terrors can max out at 12". However 8"-10" is most common and take foooreeeever to get there. I think they are one of the slowest growing fish it will take many many years for it to need more than a 55 if ever.

This thread pretty much sums up GT growth.
The Truth about Green Terror Growth? | MonsterFishKeepers.com

You've obviously never kept altolamprologus compressiceps or calvus lol

My LFS has two Calvus around 2.5-3" long, I (poorly) joked with the owner saying they were old enough to be on their death bed at that size. I've heard they take 5-8 months to reach 1.5"!

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom