Tank parameters help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddp_58

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank parameters had read 0 am 0 nitrite and about 20-40 nitrates so I did a water change and my tank had just recently finished cycling. And I Had a bunch of fish food flakes on my substrate. So I did a very thorough gravel Vac and a 50 percent water change. I have 5 Glofish tetras in a 20 gal. It’s been about a week and I am reading 0 am 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. My nitrate just hasn’t been going up and it’s been a week. Is it due to a small bio load. Can you have zero nitrate or is my cycle messed to. Any feedback would help, thanks!!

If you have low bioload and a planted tank, its possible to have zero nitrate. If you have low bioload and do frequent, largish water changes it may be that nitrate just isnt getting to readable levels. So im not going to say your testing is wrong, but its unlikely.

Are you sure you are doing the nitrate test correctly? Assuming you are using API liquid test test kit, really shake the heck out of bottle #2. Like bang it on the counter.

If you are confident you are doing the tests correctly and see zero ammonia and nitrite i wouldnt worry about the nitrate. Unless you have plants, if you have plants they need some nitrate and you may have to dose a fertiliser that adds nitrogen.

The API test strips shows a little ammonia but the API liquid test shows zero. All I did was shake bottle #2 for nitrate but this time I’ll try banging it on the counter.

Thank you so much. I had to bang the nitrate #2 bottle very hardly against the table and once I did that and did the test I finally measured some nitrates. Thanks!!!! Also I’m getting 4 new blacks skirts and I have a 4 gallon quarantine tank. Is that qt tank big enough for 4 and how long do I quarantine them for.

Generally the longer you can quarantine them the better, but as with most things it’s not always practical

If you can quarantine them for a week or 2 that’s usually more than enough to notice any parasite issues or diseases. When you get into the $200+ per fish game there’s people that will quarantine for months upon months. But it’s all relative, quarantine for a week and loose $100 in fish or quarantine for a month risking $10,000 in fish!

Either way it’s just much handier to keep any potential issues isolated and get them dealt with before contaminating the main tank

Also remember to keep the water changes frequent in the quarantine tank'

Actually 20 -40 ppm Nitrates is not considered that bad. Some say they have it higher with no bad effects.

Nitrates is the end result of the cycle so there will always be some, water changes will bring it down. Now, food on your substrate... not a good thing, you're most likely over feeding.

Even if you are not over feeding, there will still always be some that sinks to the bottom

A few small, very peaceful 'Cory catfish" will search the bottom for food and clean it up.
They will also search plants for food that lands on them .
Personally, I would never have a tank without them ..:)

Ok thanks. In my quarantine tank 3 of the 4 fish are eating healthy. The other one hasn’t eaten for days. Although it is pretty active and it’s not lethargic. Is it sick??

Back
Top Bottom