Tank Size Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdaddymagnum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all, ive decided i think it would be interesting to discuss a topic that is very broad but legitimate.... i want to hear all input on the matter of the age old question... 50 gallon 36x18 vs 55 gallon 48x13 which 1 is better for a fish with the generic blueprint of 10inch full growth... reason for the topic? at what point is width more important than length if ever... (aside from the surface area oxygenation answer) ... lets go!!

I feel like the 55 would do a better job in water stabilization as well as give you more room for your fish.how many discus are you wanting to put in it?

huh? no no lol its not a real tank its all hypothetical and not discus.. just a generic 10 inch fish... i mean i would think width would be more beneficial to an extent...

This is a loaded topic because it will depend on the swimming needs of the 10" fish. For example, say it's a huge 10" Discus, a fish that doesn't really swim much. A standard 55 should be okay because the fish has the ability to turn around and will do so in a more controlled maneuver. If it's a 10" Tinfoil Barb or other fish that is constantly on the move, there is an increase in danger of the fish bumping into the glass as there is only 2"-3" of "extra" space between the fish and glass on the turn around. This would be a more erratic maneuver making it more dangerous in a thin tank.
Then again, a 10" swimmer like a Tin Foil really shouldn;t be kept in a 36" long tank. So the next logical step is to use a 75 which is the same as a 55 only 6" wider or even a larger, wide tank. :D
Bottom line, it really depends on type of 10" fish is being kept. (y)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom