Tank size for clown loach??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I am getting a 200l tank soon which i will put all of my fish from my 64l in. Would a clown loach be ok in a 200l tank?

200 liters is 52.8g. Clown Loaches need groups and I believe recommended tank size is 125g for a group. 75g bare min for a group of babies.

http://http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Clown Loach

They hit 10-12" as adults. Even larger in the wild.
That actually lowers my stress lol, I was told I needed at least a 150 gallon for them preferably 200 as they get huge, I can do a 90 gallon without to much extra money but for a 150-200 gallon I would have to rebuy filters, heaters, tons more drift wood, rocks plants everything lol, have 3 juveniles in a 55 gallon will be returning them to my lfs when they get bigger, I could do it now But I now have a pond snail outbreak how I got this is beyond me as the plants I got were in the gel that guarantees no snails, so I'm going to keep them a bit longer to eliminate those.

They grow slow and my 10 that are between 10-15 years old are still only in the 6-8 inch range..Still a beefy fish for sure...
Mine have never been in less then a 135 [6 foot] tank since I got them...Now in the 180 for last 5+ years...
A 75 is still to me a bare minimum..
It is more about foot print then volume with a 6 foot aquarium being preferred...
Some reports say the fish may live 50 years now with 20-30 not being uncommon...

They grow slow and my 10 that are between 10-15 years old are still only in the 6-8 inch range..Still a beefy fish for sure...
Mine have never been in less then a 135 [6 foot] tank since I got them...Now in the 180 for last 5+ years...
It is more about foot print then volume with a 6 foot aquarium being preferred...
Some reports say the fish may live 50 years now with 20-30 not being uncommon...
Mine are only 2-2 1/4 inches right now 20161017_042245.jpg

Would two small ones be ok in a 200l tank until they get to big??

Also what about kuhli loaches. Will they be alright in a 200l tank?

The clowns no, they are big bodies and get huge I wish I could keep mine, I doubt know about the others

I forgot to mention length of tank preferred [emoji12]
6ft tank definitely better.

Minimum tank size is not a solution. Just a temporary home.

Ok I think I will get some and re-home them if they get to large for my tank. Can they be kept with cory catfish??Also iv herd that they eat snails. Is this true??because I have two nerite snails and I would not want them to get eaten

Also will they get on with my bn pleco because for some reason he attacks pretty much any other bottom dwelling fish that gets to close. Especially other plecos?

Ok I think I will get some and re-home them if they get to large for my tank. Can they be kept with cory catfish??Also iv herd that they eat snails. Is this true??because I have two nerite snails and I would not want them to get eaten

It's not IF they get too large. They will. Yes, they eat snails. I would not buy them unless you can provide a growout tank. Other Loaches can be super cute and not outgrow the tank.

I have just done the fish tank volume calculator and I says that my new tank is 504 litres. How many clown loaches can I fit in that size tank?

If you want something that looks similar to a Clown Loach but gets about half the size, I would go with a Yo-Yo Loach. They're zebra striped and the pattern of the stripes actually spells out "YoYo" on their body. It's pretty cool. They have the same botia behavior, without the massive size. I currently have one that will be getting more friends when my 46 bowfront is cycled.

Back
Top Bottom