tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pm64971

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have recently come across a used tank for sale that's a good price, but I'm worried about the dimensions. It is 36" wide, 24" deep and 12" thick. Iread somewhere in here that this isn't the most desirable configuration. Anybody got any words of advice?

Thanks,
Phil

it all depends on what you want to do. that tank is going to be about 48 gallons. so the volume isn't bad. what gave you the impression it wasn't a good idea? It may be too small for some fish, such as tangs, was that your concern?

The surface area is pretty low for that much water, they are usually referred to as 45g show tanks, because they are tall. IMO, for the foot print, your better off with a 30, which will have the same deminsions, just shorter. If you stock that tank like you would a 30 and realize you need more light to light it (due to the height) for a reef, it should be fine.

I was under the impression that you want a wide short tank to allow for maximum swimming distance as well as surface area (for lighting and oxygenation)

that would be correct for most cases. but it still all depends on what you want to do with the tank. were you planning on a reef, fish only, species? some species such as sea horses may like a taller tank.

I would like to start with a FOWLR tank and then convert to a reef tank when the tank matures. For species, I would like a yellow tang (or two if possible), a few clowns, a few damsels (quantities based on what bio load can be supported).

The yellow tang may not be a good idea. I have read a ton of posts on here that suggest you have a tank at least 4 feet long. Tangs need a bunch of room to swim and can develop spinal complications in a small tank.

Also please research the adult size of the fish you want to keep to determine the bio-load, not the size when you acquire it. Also you need to consider the other stuff you will need to efficiently run a SW tank. 8)

Back
Top Bottom