Tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have got my tank almost finished and was just looking to see if anyone had any suggestions. I have a 56 gallon column that is running a rena xp3. It has 2wpg and I dose with sechem flourish and exel. My stocking list is 5-blue rams, 14-harliquin rasboras, 8-bloodfine tetras, 3-sword tails, and 8 nerite snails.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130308_155549.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130308_155549.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 76
Would you suggest an internal or external background?

Personally, I think I painted black background would make the world of difference. Helps to bring out the colours of the plants and fish and hides cords hanging down the back.

Sounds cool, what is the best way to do something like that.

How I painted the back of a running tank was as follows:
Drain enough water to move stand and tank out from the wall.
Taped up trim and placed plastic over the top.
Cleaned glass thoroughly with vinegar and paper towels.
Used a foam roller to apply multiple coats if latex paint.
When dry, fill up tank and enjoy!
Alternatively you can drain the entire tank and spray paint the back.

Unfortunately I don't think draining the tank is an option for me. Any ideas on how to get a background without moving it.

It would probably only take a 50% water change to be able to slide the stand out enough to get behind it. I did a 40g and a 70g that way ;)
You could buy a plastic stick on background. They aren't too bad. Many adhere them with mineral oil (which would require moving the tank) or just tape. IMHO paint does look better though because the colour is sharper and there are no bubbles in the background.

How much clearance do you have behind the tank? You can probably get a roller small enough to be able to paint it without moving it (I personally used acrylic paint for mine). You may end up with some drips or paint on the back trim if you can't get back there to properly tape it, but it will work.

Ok sounds good... what type of paint would you recommend

That looks great. So besides adding a background any other suggestions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom