Tank Temp advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Evening all

I keep seeing and reading that angel fish and rosy barbs are good tank mates yet rosys from research seem to like up to 22c and angels start at 24 to 25c.

If they were to go in a community tank together what would the best temp be, slightly higher for the barbs or lower for the angels

TIA

I would aim for about 24c. While it maybe higher than their ideal temperature many people keep them at slightly higher temperatures in community tanks.

If you go ahead with it, let us know how it goes.

The only other concern i jave is i currently water change from the outdoor tap as it takes years with buckets in a 400l tank would they be comfortable with a couple degree drop while the heater do there thing it has 2 300w heaters so it would only be a matter of hours not days

Im not always as diligent temperature matching water as i should be when doing water changes, and often see tank temperature drop 3ish degrees centigrade with no issues. It really depends on the temperature difference between the tap water and the amount you are changing. Smaller changes with colder water will have less effect on tank temp than larger changes.

Will probably do 30% next week and see how they react not sure on outside tap temp but tank will be set to 24c

Average cold water tap temperature here in UK is around 8c. Will vary depending on time of year.

Lets say your tank temperature is 24c and you do a 50% water change. That would result in a tank temperature of 16c which is too big of a drop.

Lets do a 20% water change. That would result in a tank temperature around 21c and that "probably" would be within what you could get away with.

I would aim for about 24c. While it maybe higher than their ideal temperature many people keep them at slightly higher temperatures in community tanks.

If you go ahead with it, let us know how it goes.
Just an update, been a week at 24 and everyone seems really happy, bought 2 150l boxes from bandq and 2 cheap heaters to solve the water change issue.
First day the Rosys pestered the angles think it was just something new to look at tho as they keep them selves to them selves now

Back
Top Bottom