tank temp has.been steady rising..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my volt meter will not pick up voltages that are that low, nore are they anythign to worry about for myself or my live stock so why would it warrent any sort of ground probe, unless there is a current flow all will be well and all resistances in the water or myself will dicipate the miniscule voltage that you are talkign about.

so like i said before, your theory is an over exageration on a much larger scale but we are not dealign with things that are that high simple low voltage AC power not high voltage where small percentages still mean large outcomes

I know you are using an electrician meter but use a digital meter. My ground probe is to prevent me to feel that shock when touching the water. I agree with you that it is a stand still voltage and does not conduct current if the water is not connected to ground and GFCI is more preferred. I am talking about experience and not exaggeration.

I know you are using an electrician meter but use a digital meter. My ground probe is to prevent me to feel that shock when touching the water. I agree with you that it is a stand still voltage and does not conduct current if the water is not connected to ground and GFCI is more preferred. I am talking about experience and not exaggeration.
thats what i have, i have 4 differnt meters. one is just a simple proximity sensor then i have two digital multimeters, one low range that measures AC and DC voltage and the other is a clamp on amp probe with conductivity resistance ac/dc voltage and haven't been able to pick up any sort of stray voltage

Blink. Huh, what.
You guys were getting so technical I skipped a lot, and I'm an E Engineering technologist. I gots me a digital fluke. Whatcha want measured?

Well i hope someone reading this thread with a good Fluke digital meter would do just what I suggested and post what their reading is.

Mr. Jeffaquarius have you offered actual advice to this thread or are you doing to this fella the same as you did to me? I mean high temps are life or death for the corals.

My temporary suggestion is lift the lid and turn down the A/C. I've had communication issues with wireless devices in the past. Check your warranty. And I'll apologize for jeffaquarius because he believes he knows all and can speak to people as if they are lower than.

Blink. Huh, what.
You guys were getting so technical I skipped a lot, and I'm an E Engineering technologist. I gots me a digital fluke. Whatcha want measured?
Well, Leo is challenging the idea where this stray voltage in a tank is coming from. Electrical insulation has resistance and it can be measured with a megger. However, by using a digital voltmeter I was trying to demonstrate that there is ac voltage in the electrical insulation with respect to ground at least 0.1 volt. That reading is only a very small fraction of the insulation. Now once you submerge this electrical wire in the tank, the resistance of the insulation as a whole will drop down thereby increasing your voltage leaking into the water.

Mr. Jeffaquarius have you offered actual advice to this thread or are you doing to this fella the same as you did to me? I mean high temps are life or death for the corals.

My temporary suggestion is lift the lid and turn down the A/C. I've had communication issues with wireless devices in the past. Check your warranty. And I'll apologize for jeffaquarius because he believes he knows all and can speak to people as if they are lower than.
Would it not be nice to read at least the very first opening of this thread before making assumptions? Yes I did offer several suggestions and like everyone else we want to help anyone who's got problem similar to what we had. The stray voltage argument came up when I suggested that an excessive stray voltage with a ground probe may cause heating up the tank.

All science aside... :)

I agree that one of the pumps or the heater could be causing some heat. The idea of unplugging one at a time and watching the temp could show something. Could you also just unplug the heater? I don't even have one in my tank. I've never done it, but have heard that air blowing across the water helps keep it cooler. One of those little fans from Walmart could help. Its a cheap potential fix. Lastly...consider a chiller. I'm out in the desert and decided to purchase a used one last year, rather than to have my AC cooling the entire house all day. I imagine that savings in electricity has probably paid for the chiller by now. Does seem odd that its getting up almost ten degrees above room temp though.

All science aside... :)

I agree that one of the pumps or the heater could be causing some heat. The idea of unplugging one at a time and watching the temp could show something. Could you also just unplug the heater? I don't even have one in my tank. I've never done it, but have heard that air blowing across the water helps keep it cooler. One of those little fans from Walmart could help. Its a cheap potential fix. Lastly...consider a chiller. I'm out in the desert and decided to purchase a used one last year, rather than to have my AC cooling the entire house all day. I imagine that savings in electricity has probably paid for the chiller by now. Does seem odd that its getting up almost ten degrees above room temp though.

Lol my chiller malfunctioned and booked my fish :(

Would it not be nice to read at least the very first opening of this thread before making assumptions? Yes I did offer several suggestions and like everyone else we want to help anyone who's got problem similar to what we had. The stray voltage argument came up when I suggested that an excessive stray voltage with a ground probe may cause heating up the tank.

I read it all and the big words and outlandish theories. A "stray" voltage would turn the water into an electrical soup before it would just warm the water. Instead of syfy let's keep our feet on this planet and think logically. Wireless devices have yet to be completely fail proof. Also the more electrical things in the area can disrupt the signal. These are just a few things. I'm not an electrician. I just know that electricity gone "stray" inside a tank is dangerous and wouldn't just warm it up. That goes way back to elementary school.
But I've observed your input in other threads. Just makes me feel better about the others in this forum when I see that you didn't waste your time being so harsh with just me.

I agree that a pump can warm the tank due to the functioning of it. Not because of something straying electrically. I live In Florida and I don't use heater either as someone mentioned before.

Bouy am I glad that some of you agree to some of my suggestions. It could also be just a bad Pin Point thermometer. However, I still wanted to prove my point regarding where this stray voltage is coming from and I know this has been a hot debated issue for a long time.

First image shows I have 117.9 vac from my wall receptacle.

Second image with test probe up in the air reads some radiation from somewhere with a reading of 0.110 vac. My meter would indicate 0.010 vac if I touch both leads.

Third image with test probe touching a tiny spot in my electrical cord with the equipment turned off reads 0.364 vac.
Z

This tells me i have 0.254 vac (0.364-0.110) coming out from my electrical insulation. When you submerge this cord in water, the whole surface of insulation all around the hot side will reduce the total resistance and thus the stray voltage adds up and increases as more cords are under water.

I'm having hard time posting the images. However, I might be wrong that an excessive stray voltage can heat up the tank. All I know is that anything that conducts current can heat up.

Z

Z

Images finally uploaded

Attachments

• WP_000902small200.jpg
    WP_000902small200.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 13
  • WP_000901small300.jpg
    WP_000901small300.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 13
  • WP_000903small200.jpg
    WP_000903small200.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Re set everything, the celing fan in that room had been out so i replaced it as wel last I keep the a.c. About 75, all pumps and power heads were fine. I also put in an old school float thermoater.
Olds school is around 82 as well as the heater. The pinpoint still claims about 84.4 ....
Why not replace the battery of your Pinpoint thermometer and see the difference?

Back
Top Bottom