Tank too hot. How do I control that without giving up light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my tank is running about 84 85 degrees without heater

Both my lights are on legs, tho the fans are less effective in the coralife fixture than it is on the current

Does the aqualight sell fans separately, since there is room for two more.. or is there soemthing else I can do to dissipate heat?

You can blow a fan over the surface of the water. I've heard of using ice cubes in bags, but can actually cause more stress due to the inconsistancy of it's effectiveness. It doesn't stay to continuously cool down the tank and make temps fluctuate too much.

http://www.aqualight.com/

You can look on their website or ask them about selling fans separately.

If conditions worsen as the summer season approaches, you might want to consider a small chiller to protect the tank.

http://www.saltycritter.com/chillers/iceprobe-chiller.htm

Worth the cost over losing an entire tank.

Re: Tank too hot. How do I control that without giving up li

What size tank do you have?
What type pf light and how many watts?
What is the room temp?

sherry said:
Both my lights are on legs, tho the fans are less effective in the coralife fixture than it is on the current

The heat in the light fixture is not making your tank hot, especially since you have the fixture up on legs. The heat in the light fixture is being blown out the fans or rising up (heat rises)

The heat you are getting in the tank is from the light (and infrared) output of the bulbs. It is being projected out, and you can't do anything about this.

Here are some things you can do.
1) Put you light on legs (you did this already)
2) Remove glass canopy if you have one. This will help prevent a greenhouse effect.
3) If you have a wood canopy around your lights, then this could be trapping heat in the region above your tank. Add fans to this, or open the top and let the heat rise out.

Also, you said "without heater"...did you unplug it? Maybe the thermostat in it is broken and it is running abnormally.

35 gallon cube
96 cf lights
40 cf lights

acrylic tank
no wood canopy.. acrylic cover.. but I'm afraid of jumpers.. will the lights on legs serve as a cover for the tank?

the ice probe looks interesting but it also requires a temperature probe ... will look into it.

What kind of fish do you have that would be jumpers? I have my 2x65 watt coralife fixture up on legs w/o a glass or acrylic cover, and havent had any problems with jumpers yet.

I have some splash tetras.. but I am trying the coverless route since I am convinced I'm having fish deaths due to heat.

Back
Top Bottom