Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of glue?? Definitely just used silicone and it's all done lol... If I hafta re-do it I will 8-( Anyone only use silicone on their baffles??

Benamayer said:
What kind of glue?? Definitely just used silicone and it's all done lol... If I hafta re-do it I will 8-( Anyone only use silicone on their baffles??

Oh I know people who have only used silicone! I really think it all depends on how much flow you will have. Ignore my comment! It will be fine!

Benamayer said:

I used silicone on mine... As long as you don't skimp on it you'll be fine. There really isn't a whole lot of pressure on the baffles since they have water on either side of them equalizing most of the pressure.

Is there a certain kind of light you need for a fuge? Do you even NEED a light? Is it even classified as a fuge with just live rock and a DSB?

It would still be a refugium (safe haven) but to get the full use out of it why not use it for nutrient export through macro algae.

A refugium usually does contain macro algae which does need light to grow. You don't need a $40 special PC mini light fixture. You can just get a clamp light at a hardware store that's $10 and a CFL bulb that's 5500-7000K. I have a 23 watt 6500K and it works great. Don't need anything "special".

Just picked up my tank and got the fittings loosely in place... :cool:

image-1393835201.jpg

Attachments

• image-151311907.jpg
    image-151311907.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-4092215157.jpg
    image-4092215157.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-771021854.jpg
    image-771021854.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3702423912.jpg
    image-3702423912.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 76
Got 2 1" drains with adjustable height strainers on each corner, loctite split return in the middle... The air tubing coming out of the back is so I could run the bulkhead backwards to get it closer to the wall, and instead of running a "T", my LFS drilled a hole and dropped it in... Can't wait to get
this filled!

Benamayer said:
Got 2 1" drains with adjustable height strainers on each corner, loctite split return in the middle... The air tubing coming out of the back is so I could run the bulkhead backwards to get it closer to the wall, and instead of running a "T", my LFS drilled a hole and dropped it in... Can't wait to get
this filled!

Yeah!! Haha! Looks like you are going to be busy ! LOL!

nikki_kaiser said:
Yeah!! Haha! Looks like you are going to be busy ! LOL!

Yup busy to say the least! However, I did decide that I'm going to be using braided tubing as opposed to PVC for my sump drains and return. This will free up A LOT of time planning for plumbing, and also alleviate some of the head pressure of my return pipe (which I ordered the Eheim compact + 2000 today!) ... Did you know for every 90 degree bend you are adding the equivalent to a foot of head pressure?? Crazy... Anyways, my sand is in, and I need to tweak my sump a bit, then I think this weekend I might transfer from my 55! :cool:

The PVC connectors i got to screw into the bulkheads only go on about 2-3 turns of threads. The LFS said I need Teflon tape or a thin layer of petroleum jelly to get the pieces completely locked together. Is this right? Or did I get metric plumbing to screw into the bulkheads accidentally? Could have sworn they said " on them...?

Haha don't know if anyone is still following or not, but just wanted to update. I finished my sump and after water testing, the baffles bowed out. I got a much thicker acrylic and started from scratch. Going to water test it soon. My Eheim compact 2000+ came in, and I will most likely do a wet run on my sump with it to see how much 300 gph looks like. Bulkheads got screwed together on the back of the tank too... I wish there was a way to check to see if the bulkheads are water tight without filling up all the way!

Haha don't know if anyone is still following or not, but just wanted to update. I finished my sump and after water testing, the baffles bowed out. I got a much thicker acrylic and started from scratch. Going to water test it soon. My Eheim compact 2000+ came in, and I will most likely do a wet run on my sump with it to see how much 300 gph looks like. Bulkheads got screwed together on the back of the tank too... I wish there was a way to check to see if the bulkheads are water tight without filling up all the way!

Is your sump glass or acrylic?

30 gallon long glass... Used $20! Just used silicone to put the baffles in, snug as a bug :cool:

Some pics of the back of tank and inside of tank with bulkheads and locline return...

image-1628334855.jpg

A couple bad pics of sump baffles from above and side...

image-3623485041.jpg

Attachments

• image-1547346834.jpg
    image-1547346834.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image-321260677.jpg
    image-321260677.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 77
I'm following, just don't know much about sumps yet, so can't really say much. But I'm learning so I can do a sump this year too. :)

Back
Top Bottom