Tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinInValencia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 7 black mollies, 1 multi-goldie and 1 pleco in a 10 gallon TopFin beginner tank set with an upgraded AQ 30 gallon. I've been doing my pwc and vacuuming and the tank has been really stable and thriving.
It's a little crowded - the pleco is coming up on 4 inches now, so I ordered the SeaClear 30 gallon acrylic from PetsMart - the long, low one (36 x 12 x16).

What is the best way to start-up the bigger tank to provide a comfortable transition for the fish to the new tank? Should I take a little water from the old tank and put it in the new task each day? Steal gravel? Little castles?

I don't plan to increase the population - I'm going to do more plants.

Also, on the new tank, will I get enough circulation with an AQ 300? I do air pump but not power head on the 10 gallon. I understand the mollies don't like the water turbulent.

TIA

That still may be a bit on the small side as plecos often can get 12-14 inches long.

i like to overfilter my tank and considering the bioload to be produced by ur stocking (especially the pleco, they are poop machines), i would recommend an upgrade. AQ 30 = AquaClear 30? if so u can buy the Aquaclear 50 impeller, and it will fit into ur Aquaclear 30. Cheaper than buying a new filter.

Also i would move the seasoned gravel over (helps with neccessary bacteria). Also move over the filter media from the old filter into the new.

what pleco is yours, as some can get up to 24 inches long, mine can get up to 20 inches. As far as setting up the new tank, you will want cycle it before adding fish to it, I learned that the hard way. Also, you might want to pick up some bio spira, I am using it now to speed up the cycling in my tank.

The pleco can eventually out grow the 30, I am shopping for a 55+ gallon tank for mine at the moment.

Atl300zx said:
AQ 30 = AquaClear 30? if so u can buy the Aquaclear 50 impeller, and it will fit into ur Aquaclear 30.

My error - yes AQ 30 is and AquaClear 30 gallon.

I bought an AquaClear 300 (for 30 to 70 gallon tanks) for the new tank.
I don't think the filter media is the same size.

Thank you for your input.

papa_bear_21 said:
what pleco is yours, as some can get up to 24 inches long, mine can get up to 20 inches.

He's a grey'ish brown $4.95 PetsMart pleco - quite the handsome one, too.
No, really, I don't know other than he's the most common garden variety pleco.

Thanks.

what he meant was that instead of upgrading your filter again, you can just buy a replacement impeller for the AC 50, and pop it in the AC 30. This will allow you to move more water.

*edit* I love the look of the Seaclear tanks, but remember that you must be VERY careful not to scratch them. If your pleco turns out to be a panaque species, your pleco will scratch the acrylic. And yes, if you are wondering, this has actually happened to me! :lol:

severum mama said:
what he meant was that instead of upgrading your filter again, you can just buy a replacement impeller for the AC 50, and pop it in the AC 30. This will allow you to move more water.

*edit* I love the look of the Seaclear tanks, but remember that you must be VERY careful not to scratch them. If your pleco turns out to be a panaque species, your pleco will scratch the acrylic. And yes, if you are wondering, this has actually happened to me! :lol:

Always full of good advice, and seemingly endless personal experiences...LOL

LOL, I have all these experiences because I've learned from so many mistakes!

sorry, i assumed u accidently typed an extra 0 on the end of AQ30.

The Aquaclear 300 will be substantial.

I would still toss some of the media bags from the old filter into the new one when ur cycling it. It will accelerate the cycle as well as bring over some substrate like i said before.

Do you have any pictures of your pleco so we can identify what type it is. LIke stated above, some rasp so hard they can marr/scratch the surface of acrylic tanks.

Ohhhh, I didn't even see that until you pointed it out! I also assumed the OP was talking about the AC 30.

Back
Top Bottom