Tank was stable i added some wood and KABOOM!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamaj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well about 4 weeks ago i planted my tank. I ordered some driftwood that was suppose to be with that order. It wasnt, and tanks to florida driftwood.com's lazy ways i just got it yesterday AND IT WASNT EVEN THE SAME PIECE I ORDERED! ERRR, never order from them.

Any ways, my ph was 7.0, ammonio 0, no2 good, no3 5ppm, KH 6

When i got the wood i placed it in the tank, did a 20% water water change with tap water (added dechlorinating drops too), add 1/2 the recommended ammount of liquid plant food (mainly for my shrimp's needs) and 1 root tab.

This morning the water had a slight green tint, i checked it a little later one (had to get to tech school) PH dropped to 6.6, no3 is around 50ppm, no2 is off, KH 20, and a very slight ammount of ammonia.

Im in the middle of taking care of it, no fish seem to be acting up. Do you all have any times on taking care of this. BUt my real question is should my tank have been effected this bad by just adding some wood?

thanks for the help!

Also, my tank is a 20 gallon, with a hagen co2 system, and power filter.

I have added two pieces of wood to my tank over the last few months. Before each one went in, I boiled it in water for about 20-30 minutes, then I soaked it for a few days, dumping the water and adding fresh water whenever it popped to mind to do so (maybe twice a day).

This was probably overkill, but a did get a lot of brown tanins (sp?) out of the wood in the process and I have experienced no discoloration nor chemical changes since the wood went in.

Wel i was pretty upset *to say the least* about how long it took to get the wood from floridadriftwood.com it was suppose to be presoaked. Basically i was so upset i just threw it in there.

But do you have any times to help wit the problem i now know what shoulda been done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom