Tank with different species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would I be able to do a tank with a ratio of 4 males and 16 females but no 2 of the same species? Just hypothetically speaking and was curious if it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The point of having the large male:female ratio is so that a male can spread it's breeding aggression amongst many of the same species instead of killing it's one counter part or others as well. I'm no master of cichlids but if you're trying to do mbunas I think it's probably not advisable.

If you want a wide variety you might consider an all male peacock/hap tank not too sure if mbunas work with an all male tank. squirllah has an all male tank hopefully he see's this and responds with more info.

I'll look into that, thanks

Depends on he species, but a proper stocking ratio brings aggression down. Mbuna don't need a dozen species in a tank... You can easily do a single species or two species tank as long as you chose two species that are similar enough in personality and different enough in color

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I run a CA and African mixed tank with no problems, my belief is that adding females even of a different (but close) species will lead to trouble

If your looking to do all different species. All male is the way to go. You can do an all male Mbuna tank, but with Mbuna they do much better in their little groups and harems. However you can mix in an all male tank, as long as everyone is roughly the same temperament and size.
In my tank I have Peacocks, Haps, Mbuna, and 2 Tropheus, and they all get along, all male. This article helped me get things squared away
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/all-male_malawi.php

To give you a better idea I have 8 peacocks, 5 haps, 2 Mbuna (Hongi, and albino socolofi, and 2 tropheus. The tropheus aren't the best fit, but it's working, and I really wanted them.

An all male Mbuna tank is very possible though, the tricks are adding all juvinilles, overstocking, lots of hiding spots, over feeding, and rearranging decor often. You also have to do a lot of work keeping up water quality because your overstocked, and over feeding. Over filtering, resin media, algae scrubber, or even refugium can help a ton.

Personally I'm like 4x filtered, and use Purigen. But still do 50% changes once a week.

Oh I read that wrong, I thought it said with 2 species haha disregard my comment

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom