Tankmates for a single convict cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lagoonlyrics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank with just a 2.5" female convict cichlid. I'd like to add one or two more new world cichlids but don't want to add convicts. Would a blue acara and a firemouth work with the space and temperament?

Tanks kind of small for those fish, convict too.. can you get a bigger tank? Maybe trade in the con and get some bolivian rams or apistos? My acara move so much they make the 75 seem small..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since its a female I think you could do a fire mouth as well. but you might have some aggression issues just having the two of them so make sure you have different territories set up and break line of sight. It is really going to depend on the temperament of the fish. If you had a male I would say definitely no other fish. You might be able to add some zebra danios as dithers. I would not attempt the acara.

If I had a female con in a 30 I would make it the centerpiece of the tank get some low light plants. And get a nice school of lemon tetras or columbian red fins, or some type of barb.

Back
Top Bottom