Tankmates for the Yellow Lab cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! Got another cichlid question for ya.

So, I really, really want some yellow labs in my tank, so I would like that to be the base for the tank inhabitants, what other cichlids could I have?

This is a standard 55 gallon aquarium with a large canister filter, 200w heater, a TON of white sand, and a TON of sanded slate rock.

pH is about 8.0, I don't really measure TDS, GH, or KH. I have kits for that stuff, but I really don't wanna dig through the 55's stand lol. Uhh... any other crap about the tank you need to know?

1. What foods should I have for African cichlids? Prices don't matter. The higher quality, the better.

2. What tankmates are good with the Yellow Lab?

3. Anything about the tank I need to change?

Thanks guys!

I have a acei in with mine, plus a OB zebra, some red fin boreli. They all seem pretty happy with each other.

I just introduced a younger yellow lab to mine with several different Malawi cichlids he likes one of the caves but has no real problem interacting with the others. I feed them all regular cichlids pellets that sink.

You should check all your prerimiters because if your water is to soft you can kill cichlids very easy... I have a yellow lab in with my eacocks and Vic's and he holds his own if he does get messed with but that is rare... He has his own cave and is happy

image-4182837903.jpg

image-2789113501.jpg

You should check all your prerimiters because if your water is to soft you can kill cichlids very easy... I have a yellow lab in with my eacocks and Vic's and he holds his own if he does get messed with but that is rare... He has his own cave and is happy

View attachment 159249

View attachment 159250

I'll make sure to check the water hardness.

So, peacocks? Is that what they're called? Or is there a bunch of them called Peacocks?

What's the full name for the Vic cichlid?

There is many types of peacocks and Victorians as for Vic's you got :
Ruby greens
Kyoga flameback
Thick skin
This is only a few of them google cichlids from lake Victoria

What tankmates are good with the Yellow Lab?

They're pretty much compatible with all other mbuna species. If you're keeping them with more aggressive species keep the yellow lab population a little greater than the rest.

Fully mature male yellow labs may spar with other mature labidochromis species, despite the fact that they may not resemble them (labidochromi sp. mbamba, etc).

In my personal experience, I've not had any cross-breeding between yellow labs and red zebras (metriaclima estherae), I've kept groups of each for 8yrs and have noted zero pro-creation interest between the two species. Many, however, will say that yellow labs and red zebra's are prone to crossbreeding.

Yellow labs are not as herbivorous as many other mbuna species (they have insectivore/omnivore dietary requirements), but will do fine on a herbivorous diet if kept with herbivorous mbuna's.

Any peacock will mix well with a lab, they have similar temperaments. Also Rainbow Cichlids, or lethrinops would be fine with it. I would avoid any Mbuna's (Kenyi's, Haplochromis, Demasoni etc.)

Pseudotropheus socolofi (snow white) also go well with yellow labs. New life spectrum thera-a pellets are good food.

Pseudotropheus socolofi (snow white) also go well with yellow labs. New life spectrum thera-a pellets are good food.

Even a "less aggressive " mbuna like socolofi is a chance but the trial and error is part of the fun. I have 20 or so mixed mbuna including crabro, kenyi, auratus, and zebras and the Snow White socolofi went crazy and killed a demasoni and zebra in 2 days. He's been rehomed. I have another one that doesn't chase a thing. All luck of the draw with these fun fish! I do love big groups of labs an there's always mainganos if you want some blue/black too. They're easy to find. I'd consider them with some albino socolofi

I would stick with small mbunas in a 55. Peacocks can get big. I have yel labs, red zebras, mainganos, mpanga, demasoni and 1 yel tail acei in my 50.

My mbuna tank has a yellow lab in it. he does well with the others.

Other inhabitants are pseudotropheus saulosi, EB Johanni, female auratus, labridochromis sp. "Hongi", Red Top zebra, bumblebee cichlid.

I've noticed the RT Zebra showing some attention to the yellow lab as of late.

Hey guys! Got another cichlid question for ya.

1. What foods should I have for African cichlids? Prices don't matter. The higher quality, the better.

2. What tankmates are good with the Yellow Lab?

3. Anything about the tank I need to change?

Thanks guys!

1.Daimichi pellets are some of the best I've bought. $20 bucks for a small bag but it brings out the colors in my cichlids like no other

2. I currently house along with my yellow lab

Hap livingstoni Cichlid
Black convict Cichlid
Afra Cichlid
Duboisi Cichlid
African jewel
Yellow banded moori
Auratus Cichlid
Acei Cichlid
Bumblebee Cichlid
Demasoni Cichlid
Blue cobalt zebra Cichlid
Red Zebra
Parrot Cichlid
Snow White albino
Haplochromis obliqudens (sp. flameback)
Haplochromis sp. red tailback

3. Just make sure you have spots where your cichlids can "personalize" or claim territory in the aquarium. I do both plants and rocks(you can see my set up in my album) my tank is thriving and cichlids LOVE it. Going for a year now.

Good luck!

Forgot to mention, 3 months ago I added a blue crayfish, 1 pleco, and 2 bichirs. The plants really make my tank work together. Provides excellent hiding spots and allows protection. Everything is coexisting beautifully.

Bichirs are fish killing machines, I would keep a close eye on your fish. If it sleeps at night, and can fit in the Dino's mouth, (not even all the way, he only needs a grip) it WILL be killed and or eaten.

I'm speaking from experience. I had a 5" bichir kill 3 fish over 2" I almost got him his own tank, but I ended up trading him for a pair of Rainbow cichlids.
If you want a fish like that, that will mix well with cichlids I recommend a zodiac loach, or some other loach/bottom feeder. None of which share a common habitat with cichlids, but neither do bichirs.

Back
Top Bottom