Tannins in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowlbt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 4 quiet large pieces of drift wood in my 6ft tank which is quiet heavily planted to and the color of the water is starting to annoy me and suggestions how to get rid of the tannins before I remove the wood and replace with something else?

with water changes the tannins will go away. adding carbon would help speed up too. you can try wc once a day until they go away

Water changes will help in time. Tannins leach out of the driftwood and can do so for a while. Just up the water changes and like the above poster stated add some carbon.

Seachem Purigen has been taking the tannins out of my tanks with driftwood in them. I love the Purigen and it is rechargable so I can keep using it once I soak it and it goes back to its original state.

It will stop leeching over time. Like other posters said, water changes, carbon, or other chemical media will help to remove it from the water column. I actually like the tannins. I have a tray holding a stocking stuffed full of peat in my canister in my planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom