Tap water problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, long story short after seeing a fish (Guppy) acting very lethargic in my tank, I did a water test finding everything stable except the ammonia, it was at a whooping 1.0 - 2.0 ppm (Hard to tell by the color of the liquid test. I was shocked because I just did a water change a day ago. Did a water change, retested the water, same results, high ammonia, re-changed it and yet again same results (50% Water change.) so I then tested the water and found out my tap water has the same amount of ammonia as my tank. So I went to the store, picked up some water conditioner to help with the ammonia (Needed a new bottle anyways.) I picked up Kordon’s AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier Conditioner. It says on the bottle it detoxifies Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Chlorine and Chloramines. I used the correct amount, went to sleep and retested the water in the morning, finding no more Ammonia, but about 1.0 ppm of nitrite. I have a few questions about what just happened and im hoping for you help.

Kordon’s AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier Conditioner, has anyone used this product before? I tested this product out, with a cup of water from my tank (with the high nitrites) and dumped a capful of the solution into it, waited a few hours and tested it, finding out it still had the same amount of Nitrites as before. Now I think this conditioner isn’t working. Only thing I can think of is when it says “Detoxify” does that mean it should bring the Nitrites to 0 ppm, or does it mean that it makes it harmless to the fish but the chemical is still present in the water?

With the ammonia in the tap water, how do I deal with this problem, I moved to this current apartment about a month ago, and suspected the water having more chlorine then my other place but not ammonia. If I cant get a condition to work how could I remover the ammonia before doing a water change? I don’t want to have a mini cycle every time I change the water, it kinda ruins the point.

Lastly my biological colony I suspect could be stronger and would help. I currently have a 29 gallon tank with a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 200. I assumed the biowheel and the 2 blue cartridges would supply enough bacteria, however now im not to sure. Should I buy another filter to go along with my current one, if so what kind? Or should I upgrade my current filter to the 350 which basically adds 2 more cartridges and another bio wheel. I open for suggestions, however money is tight. Also could I add anything to my current filter? I saw at Petsmart the have this grey charcoal looking stuff that’s suppose to remover the ammonia out of the water? Do you guys think this would help?

Current stock: 29G

4 guppies (One lethargic)
4 pygmy corys
2 otos
6 neons
1 bolivian ram
4 shrimp
3 assassin snails
Planted

Been running for about 6 months with no problems so far. Only visible sign of stress is that one guppy.

I also have been using am amquel plus Ammonia detoxifier as I am cycling my tank and I have about 2.0 of nitrites in my tap water. However, I am now having a small ammonia spike of 0.5 and my nitrites are around one. So I don't think that this product actually gets rid of nitrites it just "detoxifies" them.... I haven't found a product yet that will actually get rid of nitrites yet.....

robo-snickers said:
So, long story short after seeing a fish (Guppy) acting very lethargic in my tank, I did a water test finding everything stable except the ammonia, it was at a whooping 1.0 - 2.0 ppm (Hard to tell by the color of the liquid test. I was shocked because I just did a water change a day ago. Did a water change, retested the water, same results, high ammonia, re-changed it and yet again same results (50% Water change.) so I then tested the water and found out my tap water has the same amount of ammonia as my tank. So I went to the store, picked up some water conditioner to help with the ammonia (Needed a new bottle anyways.) I picked up Kordon’s AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier Conditioner. It says on the bottle it detoxifies Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Chlorine and Chloramines. I used the correct amount, went to sleep and retested the water in the morning, finding no more Ammonia, but about 1.0 ppm of nitrite. I have a few questions about what just happened and im hoping for you help.

Kordon’s AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier Conditioner, has anyone used this product before? I tested this product out, with a cup of water from my tank (with the high nitrites) and dumped a capful of the solution into it, waited a few hours and tested it, finding out it still had the same amount of Nitrites as before. Now I think this conditioner isn’t working. Only thing I can think of is when it says “Detoxify” does that mean it should bring the Nitrites to 0 ppm, or does it mean that it makes it harmless to the fish but the chemical is still present in the water?

With the ammonia in the tap water, how do I deal with this problem, I moved to this current apartment about a month ago, and suspected the water having more chlorine then my other place but not ammonia. If I cant get a condition to work how could I remover the ammonia before doing a water change? I don’t want to have a mini cycle every time I change the water, it kinda ruins the point.

Lastly my biological colony I suspect could be stronger and would help. I currently have a 29 gallon tank with a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 200. I assumed the biowheel and the 2 blue cartridges would supply enough bacteria, however now im not to sure. Should I buy another filter to go along with my current one, if so what kind? Or should I upgrade my current filter to the 350 which basically adds 2 more cartridges and another bio wheel. I open for suggestions, however money is tight. Also could I add anything to my current filter? I saw at Petsmart the have this grey charcoal looking stuff that’s suppose to remover the ammonia out of the water? Do you guys think this would help?

Current stock: 29G

4 guppies (One lethargic)
4 pygmy corys
2 otos
6 neons
1 bolivian ram
4 shrimp
3 assassin snails
Planted

Been running for about 6 months with no problems so far. Only visible sign of stress is that one guppy.

When you moved did you keep the filter wet in used tank water or did you start over with a new filter when you reset up your tank? Most of us use Prime for a water conditioner but it sounds like what you are using is pretty much the same thing, it ONLY detoxifies for 24-48 hrs it does not remove so it'll make the water safe for your fish. It sounds like you are going through a cycle & once your BB is fully established it should be able to process the ammonia from your tap. I would say with you seeing nitrItes your tank is close to finishing this cycle. One of my tanks had nitrites for 2 weeks. Others will hopefully chime in & correct me if I'm wrong or offer additional info.

I agree with Shellica. Prime or Amquel Plus do not actually 'remove' ammonia or nitrite, they just make them less toxic for a temporary period of time (24-48hrs). There isnt a bottled product available that actually 'removes' ammonia or nitrite. Adding any of the ammonia remover pellets/media will actually weaken your biological filtration because they will limit the available ammonia to feed your good bacteria. They will work temporarily but once they have exceeded their capacity for removal, you will see even greater spikes in toxins because you will not have the amount of bacteria necessary to handle the ammonia present. Due to the amount of ammonia present in your tap (most likely in the form of chloramines), you should consider doing smaller, more frequent water changes vs one big water change a week once your tank is established to limit the amount of ammonia your adding with water changes. Hope this helps a bit!

Prime is the best! Like they've said it doesn't remove ammonia it just changes it to ammonium, which is safer for fish and can be used by the BB.

Back
Top Bottom