Tell me if i'm wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkullJug

Aquarium Advice Activist
My cousin (by marriage) wants to buy her dad a clown fish and a seahorse so he can set his tank up as marine. She asked me about it and I told her not to but wanted to check with everyone about this. I am into planted tanks and have never done s/w so am not totally sure.

The LFS guy told her that this would be fine and they are easy to keep but my understanding is that SW can be fairly tricky and that stability is an absolute must. And I believe Seahorses are pretty fragile. From memory the tank is only about 2 - 3 feet.

Can anyone tell me what the minimum requirements for a healthy S/W tank would be?

Can anyone tell me what the minimum requirements for a healthy S/W tank would be?
Oh where to start...this is bit too broad of topic for one thread. First comes lots and lots of research. A clown and a seahorse are pretty much imcompatible and seahorses in general are a difficult animal to keep. Not for the begginer. My suggestion is to get your cousin a good book on SW tanks. I like "the Counscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Also, refer your cousin to this site for more help.
The LFS guy told her that this would be fine and they are easy to keep
First and foremost...find a new LFS.

lando said:
First and foremost...find a new LFS.

Tell me about it. When I told her not to do it she said "But the guy said it pretty easy" I pointed out that he stood to make a profit from you buying the fish but I don't think she really got the point.

And several $$$$ and dead sea creatures later it will be "I TOLD YOU SO!" Dump the LFS guy and find some place else to shop. Clowns and Sea horses don't match. Research their environments and see you will see they don't match.

I agree with the rest. I have read a lot on sea horses. They are slow eaters. Any other tankmates that are faster then them will beat them out for food and the seahorse will more than likely die, from starvation. As stated before, they are more for the experienced.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=40
Have them check out that site. The will get some great ideas.

I like "the Counscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Good book there, ignore the part about cyling with a live fish....

species only definately. check out seahorse.org, its a site dedicated to seahorses and their realatives. very friendly ppl and great info.

Back
Top Bottom