Tell me if what im doing is right- please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
(to know what happened there is a post called "upside down goldie).
So I went to Petsmart with my fish and I bought him a new 10 gal with a disposible filter. I just set it up and i put some de-chlor and pH stuff to get the water stabilized. Im running the disposible filter while my goldie sits in a bag getting used to the water temp. and what not.

I bought Tank Buddies "fungus Clear" because the pleco sucked off most of his scales and someone ate almost all of his fins. This stuff says it treats "Fungus, Tail/fin/mouth rot, Hemorphagic septcemia, Clamped fins, and dropsy."
The lady suggested is because bacteria that will start to get to him since he is missing his scales. And this will fight against that while he grows them back.
I also bought him Goldfish slow sinking crubles so he doesn't inhale much air eating flakes (since he does have swim bladder).

I have to take out the carbon in my filter before I use the Tank Buddies stuff.. but the disposible filter doesn't give me much option. So im going to take it out completely after it has run for a while and put in an air stone for aeration.

I will post a picture of my poor baby here in a min.

Is there anything im doing wrong or something else I can do?
The reason im not "putting him out of his misery" is because he has held on this long. Im not giving up on him till he gives up on me.

Actually, my pH is low is my established tank. I thought about doing that early but I was in such a hurry to get my poor fish situated that I forgot about that option. But I did tests before I put him in there and the pH is at a good level. There is still room in the tank for more water.. do you think I should add water from my est. tank?

I'm concerned since it is a new SMALL tank that you may get pH swings that will stress your fish.

the pH is better in the new tank than it was the one he came from

I don't think there is much I can do to make him any less stressed than he already is.

Do you think I should add est. water or not? Is everything else im doing okay?

I could cry im so upset

I understand you are upset. Remember, this fish is used to the pH from the established tank. I know the new tank may have "better" pH for the species, but this individual fish is used to the old pH.

What is the difference in pH between the established and new tanks?

ive been working to get the pH in the old tank up more, I think there is a difference of about .4-ish

The old one reads about 6.8 the new one reads about 7.2

Mix the two. Although a difference of .4 should not affect the fish (but he is in bad shape, so better to be safe).

his pictures are in my gallery if you want to see what Im dealing with.

I could do a 25% water change using the old tank water

Or would that cause too much of a pH swing?

Ack, i posted mine at the same time you posted yours

Yah, ill do a 25% water change using the old water and then fill it up to the top with the old water.. which will make it 50/50

Everything else seems fine. I agree that you want to keep the bacteria from infecting the scaleless and fineless areas. When I want to prevent secondary infection, I use Melafix (but I don't know if it is good for goldies). Since you won't be using the filter due to the carbon, there is no reason to bother running it at all. Simply put in the air stone and get ready to add your fish.

My fingers are crossed for you. I know what it is like to take care of very ill fish. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the advice! It has helped a lot.

Im going to do the water change and take out the filter, add the air stone and start treatment. Before I go to class.

Hopefully when I get back from class he will still be alive

*crosses fingers*

you did cycle ur tank didnt u? i made that mistake (not cycling my tank) because ya know have 2 start sumwhere... i didnt even know bout it. i lost 3 gouramis and a guppy because o dat

you did cycle ur tank didnt u? i made that mistake (not cycling my tank) because ya know have 2 start sumwhere... i didnt even know bout it. i lost 3 gouramis and a guppy because o dat

I woke up this morning.. and he is still alive!!!!!
That is *such* a good sign. I hand fed him some food last nite and I cradled him in my hand for a while so he could rest some.
Because there is no filter in my QT tank the water is getting foggy. What should I do about this. I don't want to do a water change cuz of the meds that are in there... unless I hook up one of my other filters to the tank and let it cycle for a little while and then return it?

The meds are going to kill the bacteria. You NEED to water change. After changing the water, add back the meds. This is the only way, or you will have ammonia and nitrite build up.

Back
Top Bottom