Temperature for breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leannaby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.. Please can you tell me if the temperature affects breeding as all my female guppies seem to be very large and the one female who has recently had a batch of fry and went back to looking skinny now looks and tho she will be having due again soon.. Does temp speed up the process at all .. Might sound stupid lol

Tank Temp

Hello lean...

A water temp between 76 to 80 degrees is preferable for your Guppies. Large, frequent water changes of half the tank's volume every 2 weeks with treated tap that's a bit warmer than what's in the tank will encourage the females to drop their fry if they're close to birthing.

I encourage water keepers with livebearing fish to add a rounded teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the replacement water. I've found it healthful for my livebearers.

B

I concur with the above. Also, if you leave the lights on 24/7 it speeds them up. Keep in mind it sppeds their entire life cycle.

I keep the temperature at 80degrees so ich can't live in the tank and everything seems to like it and are breeding everywhere.

I keep the temperature at 80degrees so ich can't live in the tank and everything seems to like it and are breeding everywhere.
ich can most certainly live in a 80 degree tank,86-87 is the hot spot..

Back
Top Bottom