Temporary slightly brackish water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primordialsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there guys! My aquarium cycling is going well and pretty soon I imagine it will be time to start introducing the first fish. I have a list of fish and invertebrates I want to add to the tank and among them, potentially the first additions because apparently they might end up living the longest, are a couple of orange chromides. I've done a ton of research on the little guys and I know that in the wild many populations live in freshwater and many live in brackish water. I've read they might not live quite as long but that they will do fine in freshwater but if you're going to keep them in it then it might be a good idea to start them out in water that's slightly brackish. I've never seen them locally so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to order mine from online dealers and most of the websites that are selling them say that they ship them in brackish water so I'm wondering whether or not I should add a small amount of marine salt to the quarantine tank so they can get adjusted before I put them in the freshwater main tank. Here's my question though, most of the other fish I'm going to put in the tank won't be able to handle brackish water so if I replace the water in the quarantine tank after the orange chromides move into the freshwater main tank would there still be a lot of dangerous salt residue remaining in the quarantine tank where the completely freshwater fish will temporarily be? Would I have to rinse and change the water several times to get of the salt? Again I would only be using a tiny amount.

A little salt won't hurt in the qt tank. I'm not really answering your question about those fish I particular. But a little salt in freshwater tanks is generally harmless. It'll eventually get diluted down with every water change. I have 3 fish in a hospital tank right now that's got salt in it for help with healing. It'll be OK

A little salt won't hurt in the qt tank. I'm not really answering your question about those fish I particular. But a little salt in freshwater tanks is generally harmless. It'll eventually get diluted down with every water change. I have 3 fish in a hospital tank right now that's got salt in it for help with healing. It'll be OK

Excellent! Thanks Charliebankston! In that case I'll just make sure to change as much of the water as possible and fill it up a little more! I totally forgot that people sometimes use marine salt for treatment so it make sense a little bit would be harmless!

Back
Top Bottom