Ten Gallon Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 10g tank would only support 2 or 3 nerites. There is no difference in nerites except size and speed. Horned nerites are good for small tanks and I love their shell shape. Olives are mid sized and most commonly found. Tigers grow the largest but have the most variet in color and shell pattern and tend to move slower but do the job just as well as the other varieties. I have olive and tigers in my 220g and would have horned, my personal favorites had them been available when I got the others in.

Nerites eat bio-film, diatoms, green dust algae, and green spot algae. They do not eat thread or beard algae. Shrimp on the other hand do eat thread algae which amano shrimp being IMO the better choice of shrimp for hair/thread algae issues.

So could I get like 1 of each kind of nerite and say 5 amano shrimp?

Yes you could get one of each kind of nerites but in a 10g I'd only do 1 or 2 amano shrimp. Just be sure the amano's don't outcompete the RCS for food.

Amano shrimp are also the best- i kept 50 in my 60 gallon and they did awesome working with the nerites. I heard you can get 1 to 2 amanos per gallon...Oh and then again you have the RCS so i would agree with River- 1 or 2 amano shrimp and about 3 nerites. Along with you getting the bulk of the algae out, your tank should be algae free in a week! Thats how well my experience went.

Ok could the Amanos eat my Cherrys of the shrimplets?

I haven't personally kept the two together but most you hear on the subject is that it is fine. Personally I'd try manual remove of the algae along with the other things I mentioned and see if the algae problem goes away. If it doesn't then you could see about the amano shrimp. Do some reseach and see what other people who keep those two types of shrimp together have to say. I wanted to put in a few amano shrimp but they very commonly eat very fine leaved plants like the Rotala Wallichii I keep so I ended up with keeping ghost shrimp.

I haven't personally kept the two together but most you hear on the subject is that it is fine. Personally I'd try manual remove of the algae along with the other things I mentioned and see if the algae problem goes away. If it doesn't then you could see about the amano shrimp. Do some reseach and see what other people who keep those two types of shrimp together have to say. I wanted to put in a few amano shrimp but they very commonly eat very fine leaved plants like the Rotala Wallichii I keep so I ended up with keeping ghost shrimp.

My Amano shrimp don't mess with my wallichii and its growing fine...

My Amano shrimp don't mess with my wallichii and its growing fine...

Again it is a matter of individual situations in a tank. Many SAE's are also known for developing a taste for those types of plants and once they begin snacking on them it won't stop. When enough food is fed to fish often times shrimp will eat it rather than go off and forage and eat algae.

Crypts can easily be split. Just be sure to seperate pieces that have leaves attached to the roots. Often times they just pull apart naturally.

That sounds like thread algae. Get a new cheap toothbrush and swirl it around the long algae strands and manually pull them out. Do a couple good WC's and then test to see that your nitrates are around 10ppm. Also reduce your photoperiod down to 6 hours until you get the algae under control. Also when doing WC's take your hand and gently wave it around the substrate and plants so that detris is raised into the water column and you can remove it with your WC's. You sound like you have alot of detris which can raise nitrate levels and dissoved organics which can contribute greatly to algae issues.

Ok I did all that you did. Yesterday I tested nitrates and they were around 5. I then did a 50% water change and stirred up the detris and re arranged the wood. I also split the crypts into 3 plants. I also re dosed flourish

Now just keep your photoperiod down to 6-8 hours and see if the algae issues subsides.

I to down the tank and pulled every thing out and replanted. I have rescaped with an actual idea in mind. Sorry the pics are cloudy still

image-798090168.jpg

My bulbs finally sprouted 2 onions, 2 Aponogetons, and 1 water lily.

image-4200173691.jpg

image-1791631386.jpg

image-1473088878.jpg

I to down the tank and pulled every thing out and replanted. I have rescaped with an actual idea in mind. Sorry the pics are cloudy still

My bulbs finally sprouted 2 onions, 2 Aponogetons, and 1 water lily.

I like the new scape! Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom