Terra cotta pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found an old terra cotta drain pipe in the ground. I was wondering if it's worth cleaning and using it in a freshwater aquarium?

Have someone else confirm, but I believe if you wash it really hard and good enough it would work.
However, I think for the work it would take to scrub it down, it's easier to buy a $2 flower pot.

I'm gonna use pots to but the pipe looks like Mario Bros pipe in an he game

Scrub it down and boil it if you can. Should be okay then. You can get clay pots for around $1 or less about this time of the year. However, I like to reuse everything if I can.

30 minutes should kill about anything on it. You driftwood is so big that the oven method might be better. Either will kill all the bad stuff.

Honestly I would not use it simply because you have no idea what it's been exposed to. If chemicals were used in the soil they could easily have absorbed into the clay since it's porous and could leach into the tank. Not saying it's contaminated just saying it could be and personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Honestly I would not use it simply because you have no idea what it's been exposed to. If chemicals were used in the soil they could easily have absorbed into the clay since it's porous and could leach into the tank. Not saying it's contaminated just saying it could be and personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I rather be safe for the fish, but there's no way to completely clean it to be safe?

Back
Top Bottom