Terra cotta pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've seen some aquariums with these pots in there and I like the look of it. So, I'm assuming they're safe to use....right?

Justme68 said:
Just rinse them well before putting in.....anything else?

I just rinsed mine but you could do other thing vinegar,baking soda (afraid something mighta stuck that I didn't see) .

I simply rinsed mine and added them to my tank. The pots make great hiding places for all different fish and inverts.

Do you guys use the mini ones or has anyone tried the next size up? I'm having a hard time finding the smaller ones.....

Justme68 said:
Do you guys use the mini ones or has anyone tried the next size up? I'm having a hard time finding the smaller ones.....

I use a pretty big one not the small one I saw a store kinda like hobby lobby that I got mine at. Now I need to go back to get more pots!

Ahhhhhh!!! I never thought to look there. Thanks again. I have a 29 gal so maybe the bigger one will look good :)

Justme68 said:
Ahhhhhh!!! I never thought to look there. Thanks again. I have a 29 gal so maybe the bigger one will look good :)

I'm getting a smaller one for my 29G too :)

Justme68 said:
Maybe a medium and a small.....maybe that would look good?

I would say a med would look good or small but med I like better. I think it would and put gravel in it also.

In our area, I once found the tiny clay pots at either Home Depot or Lowe's (HD I think, but I'm not sure).

Another thing is that you can use sand paper and files to shape them, place doors on them, and make them into little houses.

Any update? Would love to see pics of how it looks now!

Cool! I've never seen it done like this. I've seen plants in smaller pots buried under the substrate with just the rim showing about 1/2" above. This looks good, too.

Ceej said:
Cool! I've never seen it done like this. I've seen plants in smaller pots buried under the substrate with just the rim showing about 1/2" above. This looks good, too.

I actually was just lazy, but as the plants started growing, I really started to like it!

This is how mine look, I like them!

I like this look over the plastic plants. I have several questions:
would this work with live fish? (edit: didn't see the cory on second photo)
what to do you use for substrate in the pots?
do you close the hole on the bottom of the pot or how do you keep the substrate inside the pot?

Back
Top Bottom