Terrace ideas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen a few tanks here where people have used terraces to give varying heights to an aqua scape and to separate different substrates.

I really love the look and have some ideas as I am now planning to re-scape my 55 sometime this year.

I rushed in to planting it in the first place and didn't really have a plan, now I want to give it a lot more class (and recover from the angels beating it up)

So I am taking my time and drawing out plans but of course taking it from art to reality is another story. ;)

I want to create a "walking path" sort of look just off center sweeping to one side or both in a very curvy abstract line.

So I have an idea to purchase a roll of cork and cut it into strips the right height for my retaining wall. Then glue on (aq. safe silicone of course) flat rocks to give it a finished edge and nice view from the front.

My hope is that if I plan the spacing just right that it will still be somewhat flexible in order to do some curves that will look a little more natural and give the illusion of a small rock cliff with the densely planted area behind with eco-complete as the substrate and pfs in front of the retaining wall. The cork would be mostly buried but the rocks would be seen clearly at least their top half.

Another thought was to do a retaining wall with plastic grid sandwitching Christmas moss that would grow up and through the plastic mesh and create the first low layer of plants.

Any other thoughts or ideas on terracing?

Lets get our creative juices flowing! :)

Attachments

• Aquasapeplan1.jpg
    Aquasapeplan1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I saw some photos of a contest that the FW tank/plants were used to create a 'landscape' of sorts. The tanks made mini creeks, fields, rolling hills... it was pretty awesome.

Sorry, I don't have a link and for the life of me.. don't know what to Google to find it again.. it has been a few years, but maybe someone here might have heard/seen something similar.

Edited to add.. Google "Aqua Design Amano"

I have a spare 10g laying around....I just might try some of the different ideas and experiment....lol

I'm also going to try a terraced design soon. I have a 30gal hex that I'm going to try to terrace using rough slate tiles as retaining walls. I would like to separate the tank into 3 sections with each being a different level. Haven't ironed out all the details yet though.

How about 2" mosaic tiles? They could be silicone glued to a mesh backing, they would be flexible and heavy :) Then christmas moss could be trained to grow in the cracks! :) The tumbled tiles would give it a more natural look :)

I think I am going with acrylic....have two large sheets now, just have to figure out how to heat it without burning it so I can bend/form it exactly as I want it.
My husband (being the techie guy he is) wants to put LED lights in the bottom of the wall and light it up...I think it could add a wonderful new light source to see things light up at the bottom for a change :) Especially as a canopy grows at the top blocking light....I will be sure to post pics or journal the process once I have it all figured out. :)

If you look at my tank (link in signature) I have one terracing idea in that. This design doesn't last a whole long time I've found though. After about a year the glue starts losing cohesion and the round rocks start to slide. I eventually took mine out.

If you can get a substantial quantity of Slate rock, I've seen people do beautiful things with it. It's naturally flat so it stacks well and can be strategically glued. Plus, it can work for a stone path appearance as well.

PG: DIY Slate Cave / Terrace - PlantGeek.net

Others use artificial materials and cut shapes and designs and make them very realistic. Just be careful you chose materials that won't introduce poisons to the water. If using rock, make sure it doesn't alter your water chemistry (slate is safe).

Last edited:
That terrace is really neat. I have something similar in my 55 but more as a cave structure than a terrace. I am trying not to use rocks in this one because of the increase in hardness issues. Of course that was the result of my native rocks, slate might be different. :)

Yes, slate does not effect hardness which is why it is so popular in the aquarium trade. There are many types that will not effect the water but they can be tricky to tell apart.

Depending on the fish, you may WANT to alter the water. This is where Texas Holey Rock and other such rocks help out.

I know you said you were avoiding real rocks but here is a good guide I use a lot if you change your mind.
The Skeptical Aquarist

Last edited:
HappyGirl......I think your cork idea should work fine....but if you decide to build it out of another material, make sure you put extra time into making it solid if you are using a fine substrate like eco or pfs. I found that over time the fine grains do find their way through even the smallest cracks. I ended up tearing out my terraces cuz I just couldn't keep my eco from falling though.

HappyGirl......I think your cork idea should work fine....but if you decide to build it out of another material, make sure you put extra time into making it solid if you are using a fine substrate like eco or pfs. I found that over time the fine grains do find their way through even the smallest cracks. I ended up tearing out my terraces cuz I just couldn't keep my eco from falling though.

Thanks for the info....since I will be using Eco AND pfs ;)

I have decided to go with acrylic. My brother in law has a laser engraver so I have designed the shape I want and we will cut the peices and cement them together to form one wall. I think it will be really cool. I will post pics.

After your suggestions though I think I will make sure they are glued down as well so there is no shifting during maint. etc.

Thanks!

Well, I got the acrylic walls made and glued. I don't have the final pic yet as the two pieces are now on the tech bench getting LED lights installed and wired up but here is a link to the page I built to document the set up of my new 90 gal tank.

Welcome to my planted tank page

I like that, I may have to try that after I get my frame fixed.

One suggestion though, If you take another piece of that acrylic and make it twice as high with a smaller radius and place in on the inside of one of the other pieces, then after you added the substrate you will have a cascading "stair step" terrace. The 2 tier terrace effect improves the depth (no pun intended) of the aquascaping immensely.

As for the LED light idea, thats fine but based on the terraces you have, they don't look too tall. Remember the LED's can't go in the water, they have to be under the tank. I had expected you to set the terraces on top of the substate or just bury them slightly. For the LED's to work, the terraces would have to rest on the glass bottom and you would need to account for the 3"+ of substrate in your terrace height. The picture may be an illusion and its bigger than I think, but those pieces don't look tall enough to stretch from the bottom of the tank to stand above the substrate.

As for the LED's, it doesn't need a controller. Just a Power Brick, a Resistor, and the LED's (and wire). The only reason I can think of needing a controller is if he were attempting to use color changing LED's which require different resistances to switch colors.

Last edited:
Another layer would have been neat. I didn't think of that. (Filled the tank before I read your suggestion..... :( Maybe next time. :)

We did want the lights to change color but it didn't work out. Just on or off is what we ended up doing.

I am only using them at night for a couple of hours after the main lights go off. They give enough light to see what the fish are doing so it is pretty neat.

I have updated the page with more pics after the initial planting and filling of the tank. I am sure I will rearrange some things over the coming weeks and as things grow and fill in but so far I am pretty happy with it.

I think the job was a success. I like it a lot. It inspires me. Now if I could only get rid of the pesky job and do it.

Your box of water is awesome! I checked out the page in your link and it is really beautiful. Moving of course kind of makes you have to start all over again :( You have a real talent for photography. WOW!

I know what you mean about signing the papers...when we bought our first home, my husband was in Malaysia on business....I had to sign by proxy for him AND me.....UUUUGGGGHHHH! I was there for hours! My hand was cramped ! lol

Back
Top Bottom