Terrestrial plants ABOVE a brackish setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trevor.Dawson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a corner style, non-bow front aquarium (not sure of the dimensions off hand, nor can I remember the gallons - pretty sure it was around 40 or so) that has been sitting with nothing in it for awhile and I thought I might try a mangrove style brackish set up with archer fish (I've kept these guys successfully in the past). The problem I'm running into is that the lid on the tank was left out in the sun at the garage sale I bought it from and is warped. Also it doesn't really give adequate room for filtration and lighting. So I thought about building a custom canopy that will provide ample room above the water line to add hanging terrestrial plants that I can put insects in for the archers. Now I'm wondering if the salt in the water might harm the plants, especially if the archers are shooting water up into them. I'm not sure how high I'm going to have the salinity, but what would be some of the better choices of plant species? I'm sure the normal pothos/philodendron/spider plant hanging baskets would be okay for awhile, but what about epiphytic plants like ferns, orchids, or air plants (tilandsia)? Even if the plants lived, would the leaves/flowers be toxic to the fish if they shed into the water? Also how far up would the lights have to be in order to be out of the range of fire from the archers?
Thanks very much

Back
Top Bottom