Terrible Hair/thread algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this terrible hair or thread algae that's like white and stringy, appears mostly on my java moss on two tanks, mostly my 10 gallon which is not in the best condition but plan on rescaping and basically just re doing once I get enough info and time. I plan on dirting it.

Anybody know why I'm getting so much hair algae and how I can remove it without having to manually do all the time cause it always seems to come back.

I don't dose anything in the 10 gallon, water change once a week about 40-50% and I run two filters on it. Help me out guys

My lights used to be on about 8-10 hours a day and I don't have a timer so of course there was some slips where it might be on 12 hours or maybe 11 but for the most part, the maximum was 10. I got really bad diatom/brown algae that I didn't fix until recently (two otos that did the most of the job in less than a week) but now its like the thread/hair algae like completely took over my plants. I used to have it before but maybe I never noticed how bad it actually is. I kinda don't understand how all of a sudden my tank suddenly needs co2 when I've had it running like this for more than 6 months with the same plants (excluding the java fern) but I think I heard something before about the phosphates being too high can cause hair algae. Is that true?

For starters get a timer at home depot they are pretty cheap. Excess ferts do not cause algae, once again experienced hobbyists have proven this. Many hobbyists run higher phosphates and do not have algae. Excel would certainly help but it wont magically kill it. Id remove as much as you could, increase water changes and add excel.

The amount of plant mass fluctuates over time as your plant mass grows co2 demand, lightning (from the lack of a timer) can become unbalanced resulting in algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You never state what kind of lights and / or bulbs you are using and never state how long they run, how much sun is the tank getting , what kind of substrate. And dosing some sort of fertilizer is recommended

You never state what kind of lights and / or bulbs you are using and never state how long they run, how much sun is the tank getting , what kind of substrate. And dosing some sort of fertilizer is recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE

It was stated that it's a single bulb T12 and that it's on an average of 10 hours a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would start with a timer , 8 hours , move the tank out of the sun , check the spectrum on the bulb 5000-10000 k usually will grow plants , fertilizer will help as well as a co2 additive such as excel with proper fertilization , root tabs for heavy root feeders

I would start with a timer , 8 hours , move the tank out of the sun , check the spectrum on the bulb 5000-10000 k usually will grow plants , fertilizer will help as well as a co2 additive such as excel with proper fertilization , root tabs for heavy root feeders

Lol I don't really need advice on how to grow plants but thanks. I do need to get a timer but a timer won't make the algae disappear. I also only let it run 6-8 hours after the hair algae started coming. The tank isn't really in the sun and I don't open my blinds during the day as I'm at school. I think the spectrum is lower than it should be but I'm not worried about light as I only have java fern.

The tank rarely gets sun, I don't need good substrate for java fern as it grows above the substrate and it's mounted on driftwood and I don't dose anything really except for excel on my last water change. My java ferns won't die with the algae, I just want to know how to get rid of it, I think my phosphates are too high and that's what's causing it, do recommend more water changes and manual removal?

Is it possible to see photos of this algae?? You really didnt seem all that sure of the exact algae you have.

What also is your water change schedule if you dont mind me asking?

Are the plants fully healthy?? No melting or damaged leaves??

What is the stock like in this tank and would you say you feed often/a large amount?

Gravel vac your substrate at all to remove waste??

Not all algaes are necessarily caused by co2/light. Very commonly they are but sometimes other things can be amiss

Thanks

Is it possible to see photos of this algae?? You really didnt seem all that sure of the exact algae you have.

What also is your water change schedule if you dont mind me asking?

Are the plants fully healthy?? No melting or damaged leaves??

What is the stock like in this tank and would you say you feed often/a large amount?

Gravel vac your substrate at all to remove waste??

Not all algaes are necessarily caused by co2/light. Very commonly they are but sometimes other things can be amiss

Thanks

No prob, here ya go. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441742563.527937.jpg
It seems like they want some airtime.

I don't mind at all, I appreciate the help and concern.
I change about 40-50% every weekend and gravel vac every time and very thoroughly.

I still have new leaves growing but to be honest, idk if it's something they're missing but they seem to stunt and look like if they just got snipped at the tip of the leaf, but that's something that's reoccurring with this java fern.

I have 6 white skirt tetras and 2 otos, I know that might be overstocked but the otos were added to help with diatom algae and they did one heck of a job. I may be getting rid of them soon. I also run two filters if that helps. One is in really bad condition though, I need a new cartridge.

And I only feed maybe a pinch of food once a day. Sometimes twice, bloodworms or brine on the weekends before or after a water change. It seems this algae only grows on the surface of things, heater a little, plants, filter intake, decor. What does it look like to you?

Well in my opinion it looks a bit like fuzz algae. Have a google search on images and see what you think.

This link has some useful info on causes, cures and removal techniques
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Equally if the link does not work heres a screenshot

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441749554.060479.jpg

Now one of the things it mentions is ammonia spikes as a cause. Well if your overstocked then this is one way to get an ammonia spike. Another way is decaying plant matter. As the plant decays it releases ammonia. This is why you often see algae on old damaged leaves. Maybe use a decent liquid test kit to try get a rough idea of ammonia levels??

I would personally go the other route instead. I would begin to dose daily excel. If nothing else it will improve your plant health and in turn helping against algae. Maybe grab yourself an all round liquid plant feed too. Your after something that has phosphates, potassium and nitrates present. Again the seachem range is pretty reliable. Maybe see if this helps?

You should try to manually remove algae whenever it starts to flare up, to prevent it becoming a massive issue. If the problem is already out of control try a three day blackout. Its easy and works! Leave filter running and add an airstone if possible. Cover the tank in blankets or towels to block out all light. NO PEEKING OR FEEDING. No light can get in!! This helps to kill off algae and make it easy pickings for your algae eaters.

Last point from me. Really really really try to get your lighting consistent. Others have already said this i know. The correct duration for your tank is so important. I would dial it back to maximum 6hours while you have the issues. Maybe gradually increase in 30min increments every month if no signs of reoccurrence. Get yourself a timer!!

Hopefully this helps

Well in my opinion it looks a bit like fuzz algae. Have a google search on images and see what you think.

This link has some useful info on causes, cures and removal techniques
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Equally if the link does not work heres a screenshot

View attachment 277791

Now one of the things it mentions is ammonia spikes as a cause. Well if your overstocked then this is one way to get an ammonia spike. Another way is decaying plant matter. As the plant decays it releases ammonia. This is why you often see algae on old damaged leaves. Maybe use a decent liquid test kit to try get a rough idea of ammonia levels??

I would personally go the other route instead. I would begin to dose daily excel. If nothing else it will improve your plant health and in turn helping against algae. Maybe grab yourself an all round liquid plant feed too. Your after something that has phosphates, potassium and nitrates present. Again the seachem range is pretty reliable. Maybe see if this helps?

You should try to manually remove algae whenever it starts to flare up, to prevent it becoming a massive issue. If the problem is already out of control try a three day blackout. Its easy and works! Leave filter running and add an airstone if possible. Cover the tank in blankets or towels to block out all light. NO PEEKING OR FEEDING. No light can get in!! This helps to kill off algae and make it easy pickings for your algae eaters.

Last point from me. Really really really try to get your lighting consistent. Others have already said this i know. The correct duration for your tank is so important. I would dial it back to maximum 6hours while you have the issues. Maybe gradually increase in 30min increments every month if no signs of reoccurrence. Get yourself a timer!!

Hopefully this helps

Ammonia spikes can be a cause. I hate to say it but this tank has unfortunately became my "neglected" tank ever since I got my second over the summer. I haven't been slacking on my water changes but I have on testing and in general caring for appearance and goals for the tank but now that my new tank is up and running and achieving what I'm hoping for, I can turn back to this tank and I hope to rescape it little by little over the fall/winter time.

I have one question that might seem a little beginner but I guess no question is a bad question, I'm pretty sure there's carbon pebbles in my filter media, would that have an effect on my dosing?

As for what I'll dose, I'll start to dose excel and regular flourish as I'm sure it has all the nutrients you are advising for this tank.

Thanks for all the advice and helping me crack down on the issue. Some people can see a problem and say why they think it's happened and what I'm doing wrong instead of giving me advice on how to fix it. I appreciate the time and effort you put in to help me and I'll make sure to update you these next couple of weeks. I'm fixing on getting a timer tonight or tomorrow. I'm gonna do the blackout you suggested starting tomorrow. Thanks for everything!

Okay now I'm a bit shocked lol. I tested my water and here's what I got

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0?
pH: 7.4

Maybe I tested wrong and I will retest tomorrow around 4pm eastern time when I get home from school but I know something is up lol.

I was going to say check when the solution expires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom