Territorial fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rumor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a betta in a 10 gal tank and he seems to have become a little territorial about the entire tank, we would like to get a couple more fish, but i am worried he may become aggressive towards the new comers.
Is it true that by removing the fish in question for up to a week and then reintroducing him at the same time as the new fish will solve this problem? i read somewhere that they forget it was their territory so they won't be as aggressive.

I've also seen it said that when you introduce new fish it's a good idea to move all your decorations / plants around at the same time, as fish will often have a part of the tank that is 'theirs' and they know that it's in front of the plants behind the pot, for example.

Mark's idea could work. It's best if there's a decent amount of cover. "Out of sight, out of mind" applies to bettas.

Just make sure you get some fish that are faster than the betta, won't nip fins, and don't have long, flowing fins like the betta. Neons would be a good fish. My wife had a betta that would chase the neons around the tank for amusement. He was too slow to catch them, but it kept him busy and made the tank fun to watch. The neons didn't get too stressed out over it either.

I was thinking of neons, zebra danios were also mentioned somewhere, and cherry barbs but given how red the barbs are might not be a good idea, i hear red sets betts off.

My four bettas leave the cherry barbs alone in my 29g community. I can't say I've seen or heard of bettas reacting to any one color more than another.

It all comes down to the individual betta, they have extremely varied personalities. In general I've had good experiences with bettas (both male and female, though not at the same time!) in community tanks. More recently I had a betta, a female, who was intolerant of basically any other living thing being in the same tank with her. (This was a 10g tank too, btw.) It was attack-on-sight. Fish, shrimps, snails, you name it. If it was moving and in the tank, my betta was going after it. But out of the ~10 bettas I've owned over the years, this one was the exception, not the rule.

You are more likely to have success mixing a betta with other fish if you:

• have lots of tall plants & other decor that breaks up the sight lines
  • move things around in the tank (as much as you can) before you introduce the other fish
  • avoid fish that look too much like a betta
  • avoid fish that are "top dwellers" (which is where bettas usually prefer to stay)

I'd say any of the fish you mention should have a chance to work, though personally I think zebras are a little too hyper (i.e. fast) for a 10g tank. Neons or the cherry barbs would be slower swimmers and probably fit in better with a betta.

The other thing, and this is just for future reference since you already have the betta, is whenever you are putting together a community tank and have some worries that one of the fish might be too aggressive, it is best to add the peaceful fish first and the more aggressive one down the road. That way, when the aggressive fish is put in the tank the other fish are already there and are basically seen as part of the "environment." Whereas if the aggressive fish is alone in the tank for a while, and then you add other fish, well, it's not used to having other fish with it so it immediately sees anything new as an "intruder." If that makes sense. Like I said, it won't help you this time around but might be a good thing to keep in mind for the future.

Back
Top Bottom