Test Results... Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADW76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I'm confused and need someone to help me interpret what the heck is going on with my tank. Here's the scenario.
I added 6 fish to my new 29-gallon aquarium, to start a cycle with fish.
I have a 180GPH power filter with bio-filter & carbon, a 200W heater and a bubble bar for aeration.

Everything was progressing fine, slowly, but fine... Then Day 22, here's what happened...

22: Ammonia - 0.3 ; Nitrite - 0.5 ; Nitrate - 5 (10% water change)
23: Ammonia - 0 ; Nitrite - 0.5 ; Nitrate - 5
24: Ammonia - 0.1 ; Nitrite - 0.5 ; Nitrate - 5 (10% water change)

Day 25 & 26 were just about identical to to 24, but Nitrite was 0.25

On Day 27, a fish is dead, another appears to have Ick. Turned the heat up gradually 2 more degrees to 81, and added Aquarium Salt to kill the ick (1 TBSP / 5 gallons). Did a 25% water change too. Removed the carbon filter.

Day 28, the infected fish dies. All other fish appear normal, no spots. Test results are: Ammonia - 0 ; Nitrite - 0 ; Nitrate - 5

Day 30 & 31 I had a tiny ammonia spike (0.25), but with only two 10% water changes results are back to 0,0 & 6 for Nitrate on Day 32.

Did the salt kill my cycle, but how did the ammonia go down to 0 with just a 20% water change over days??

And around Day 24, how did my Nitrites drop so fast without any more Nitrate?? I've done 10% water changes scattered thoughout those days, but it wouldn't remove enough to drop the numbers by that much would it? I'm so confused.... Salt is still in the tank to make sure the ick is gone. Anyone have any idea what's happening, or is my tank possesed by leprechans? :???:

Salt only will not kill ich. Heat above 86F will. What kind of fish did you add? What kind of test kit are you using?

I added Black Skirt Tetra's (I know now it wasn't the best choice) and I use liquid test kits by API. Will the fish tolerate 86F? Advice I've got previously was that that is too hot for the fish and the salt and water over 80F will do the job.

All of our tanks are above 85 degrees, including the tank with black skirt tetras and they do very well. As long as you raise it gradually your fish can adapt. Salt helps with the healing process some, but does not help get rid of the ich per se. No matter how low you keep the toxins in your tank, they are still toxins and you are likely going to have a few problems. I think your best bet is continue to monitor your set up and do water changes accordingly.

So now you have 4 black skirt tetras? The cycle seems to be going alright, although I have never done a fishy cycle. I don't recommend keeping temps above 86 for more than a few weeks. Add some aeration or lower the water level too keep the oxygen levels up while treating.

Did you add dechlorinator to the tank when doing water changes? Keep an eye on your parameters and everything will be ok as long as ammonia and nitrite stay close to 0,

Yes I use dechlorinator for water changes. I will turn up the temp a little more today..

Back
Top Bottom