Tetra bioload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it true that since tetras have a smaller bio load that they don't need to follow the inch per gallon rule? Right now I have:
3 sunburst platies
3 long fin red minor tetras
I keep them in a 10 gallon tank and would like to increase the tetras to a school of 5 and possibly add a silver lyre tail Molly for contrast to the other fish. Would that be exceeding my limit? Would just the one Molly be alright with my current fish?

There is no truth to the inch per gallon rule, so let's throw that theory out the window and just start with the information you've provided:

10 gallon tank
3 platies
3 tetras
1 molly (wish list)

Not all tetras have the same bioload. Bleeding heart tetras would have a larger bioload than neon tetras, for example. It is very good to keep bioload in mind, though, when stocking a tank.

The molly has a very large bioload. You could keep one in a 10 gallon tank if you wanted to.

That said, a 10 gallon is not large enough to beef up the tetra school.

Your tetra is also known as a serpae tetra. These appreciate a larger school of 8 or more. I would advise a larger tank for this species, at least a 20 gallon. They are also known to be nippy and may rip the fins of your platies.

Platies is a good choice for a 10 gallon.

If I were you, I would rehome the tetras, forget about the molly and up the number in your platies, keeping in mind that platies are prolific spawners.

I'm not sure what the filter is (not at my apt right now) all I have are artificial plants (8). Here's a pic of the setup

Attachments

• image-2626587812.jpg
    image-2626587812.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 292
Cute tank, I think a school of platies would look cool in there with all that color. :cool:

LyndaB:
Yeah I've noticed one of my tetra's getting nipped at, they pretty much leave the platies completely alone. Since I'm new with these species (had betas before) I've just gone with what research I've done and what little help employees at lfs have given me. Right now I can't afford another setup for the tetras, so they'll just have to stay where they're at for now. Thanks though!

Oh and if I would be able to relocate my tetras, how many platies would you suggest?

What is your ratio of male to female right now?

I don't keep platies but I would imagine those that do would recommend just a trio for now, as they will spawn. Again, the smaller the tank, the fewer your options. :(

Yeah I don't like the few options lol but the tank was given to me free so I shouldn't complain. My platies are pretty messy just the 3 so if I would get more I probably won't get more than 2 :)

Lol yeah! I've had them for just over a month now and literally witting the first 24 hours I saw a couple fry swimming around! I didnt have a breeder net so I was just hoping for the best...they disappeared after a week. But one of my small females looks like she's about to bust so who knows, I'll have more fry soon :)

Look for a larger tank on craigslist, their cheap. And turn your 10 gallon into a fry tank? You know you want more!!!

You could probably get some Pygmy cories. They wi help with clean up and I don't think they will bother the fry to bad.

A fry tank wouldn't be a bad idea, except that right now I'm living with a roommate I'm not on good terms with right now and I already keep my take in my room which isn't very big. So maybe when my lease is up in a couple months I'll look into upgrading :)
As for pigmy corys I hadn't even thought of those, thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom