Tetra Injured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed last night one of my neon tetras was swimming on his side at the very back of the tank and was barely moving as if something really awful happened. I decided I would give it the night and see if he would pull through or you know.

Well this morning he is now swimming around normally again with the school of tetras again but still it looks like he is still swimming on his side.

I have 4 other zebra dainos in the tank but they rarely even bother the tetras actually they don't at all they just chase each other. I have 6 other tetras who obviously are harmless to my tetra.

Will he be able to pull out of it? I tried feeding them this morning and I couldn't tell if he ate or not.

I have a ten gallon regular tank.

Thanks everyone!

How long has your tank been set up? Have you tested your parameters and when was the last water change? It may be a swim bladder issue. Try feeding some frozen peas to rule out or ease possible constipation. Does he exhibit any signs or white patches or fast breathing?

No he has actually a perfectly healthy color no white patches such as ich signs none of those. Really no fast breathing.

He could be ok I am thinking maybe he might have just gotten scared or something put him into a little bit of shock?

Well I watched him tonight and he is on his side by the tank again. His fins are ok and his color and scales are fine.

His eyes looked a little bulged out for some reason.

My tank has been setup for almost 7 months and my last water change was a week ago which means I am doing one today or Sunday.

The bulging eyes could be a sign of pop eye. It would be best to isolate the fish until you know more. Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and post the results (numbers please).

In the mean time, while the fish is isolated, you can put in a quarter dose of melafix.

How much water do you change out per water change?

In my experience, that's a bit too much unless it's an emergency water change. Lets get the water test results and take it from there.

Are you able to isolate the one fish?

If you don't have a QT, you can use a three to five gallon bucket filled half way with original tank water with a heater and an airstone.

I thought pop eye was caused by poor water conditions. The best way to improve water is to change it. I change at least 50% weekly. As long as temp and KH match I think you could change 50% of the water everyday. The best thing you can do for a sick fish, especially one in an uncycled or newly cycled tank is to change the water.

rich311k said:
I thought pop eye was caused by poor water conditions. The best way to improve water is to change it. I change at least 50% weekly. As long as temp and KH match I think you could change 50% of the water everyday. The best thing you can do for a sick fish, especially one in an uncycled or newly cycled tank is to change the water.

I know and it may seem strange, but I have found there are cases where extreme water changes, especially if the water quality is poor can do more harm by putting the fish in shock. It really depends on the full water parameters.

Just as it can be shocking to place a fish from good water into bad, it can do the same taking fish from bad water into good.

Water changes are still made, but small amounts and more frequent. It may even still sum up to be 50% in a single week, but over a period of time rather than all at once. The amount depends on current water parameters.

Hope this explains the oddball recommendation...lol...

I change 50% a week on each tank and have done so for the last 3 years with no problems. I agree that it can be bad to change the water that much for fish when they are coming from water conditions that are not good but for fish keepers that do that regularily, it will not harm the fish IME.

Pop eye is usually related to water, you haven't told us your parameters yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom