Tetra vs Marineland Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
On monday I get payed and am going out to buy a new aquarium from my lfs big als im getting a 29 gallon kit, either top fin 29 gallon kit with incandecant lighting or marineland 29 gallon bio wheel kit which either has the 170 filter or 200 filter and its led with day and night modes. Top fin is slightly cheaper at 129.99 compared to 149.99 as of now im getting the mmarineland but any suggestions or opinions lemme know and also im wondering with the bio wheel sand or gravel?
Thanks, Troy

My personal preference is to buy everything individually. The actual tanks when bought alone (not in a kit) are very cheap, and that way you can choose the type of lighting and filtration yourself. The AquaClear filters are very well respected, and there are tons of light to choose from depending on if you want to grow plants or simply choose the color tones.

We mostly all end up wanting to upgrade different aspects eventually...so a head start is always a good idea :)

Out of curiosity, how do you plan to cycle the tank? You can check out the article in my signature to get you off to a good start :)

Yeah its just that seperately all the pieces are more expensive and im saving a ton of money and i wanted most things in the kit anyway but idk :/

Have you checked your local craiglist for a used setup? Almost always a few 29's posted, though quite often the size is overestimated, usually listed as a 30 or larger. Always ask for actual measurements/dimensions, and try talking down the price. Used tanks around that size, figure $1/gallon for the tank and 1/3-1/2 new retail price for filter/s, heater, lights, etc. as a baseline.
IMO biowheel filters are just a gimmick, the only hob's I use are aquaclears.
Sand is easier to keep clean than gravel, but don't use playsand. Pool filter sand is a much better option.

Get the Marineland because it has better lighting options.

As for starter fish tanks, I wouldn't buy anything new.

Terrance said:
Get the Marineland because it has better lighting options.

As for starter fish tanks, I wouldn't buy anything new.

The marinelands with led aren't very bright IMO but the night light is nice.

The marinelands with led aren't very bright IMO but the night light is nice.

Tetra has incandescent bulbs. Marineland has fluorescent lamps.

I haven't seen the marineland led light yet in real life yet, but I think it looks nice on picture (y)

If the Marineland comes with the carbon filter pad, I didn't like it. The filter system isn't very adaptable and that filter pad was awful in my experience. The BioWheel didn't seem to be much of a positive thing either. And I hated the light on the 12 gal bowfront I had, it was too bright for me. But as I said I had bought the 12 gal model (and the door access to the tank was horrible, although from the picture it looks like the 29 might have better access), maybe the 29 is different. I liked the tank itself, but the hood, filter and light I didn't like.

And I hated the light on the 12 gal bowfront I had, it was too bright for me. But as I said I had bought the 12 gal model (and the door access to the tank was horrible, although from the picture it looks like the 29 might have better access), maybe the 29 is different. I liked the tank itself, but the hood, filter and light I didn't like.

The 12, 6, 5, 3, and 2gal eclipse all have terrible hoods openings and filter. Bigger eclipse have better hoods. Even with my bigger eclipse, I think the filter wasn't effective. I had to upgrade the filter for all of my eclipse. I also used my own custom filter pad because the standard pads didn't do a good job.

The one with the LED light is a 20 gal with HOB filter and doesn't come with eclipse version filter.

Yeah I think for now im gonna start with the marineland and it is led must be new :3 and its not a starter im already running a 5 and 10 gallon but my parents have finally let me get a bigger tank and im gonna see how the bio wheel works and if not im gonna pick up an aquaclear and its led night and day so couldnt be incandecant :p i'm gonna on monday ill let you guys know how it goes.

I have the 20 gallon marineland kit. I love it. The LED lights are really cool and plenty bright enough. The night mode is really neat also-- especially if you have glofish and certain decorations-- a few of mine from Petsmart really glow under the night LED lights!

Back
Top Bottom