Tetras dying within first day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lizzztee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 55 gallon that just fully cycled a few days ago. Yesterday, I bought 6 head and tail light tetras. All seemed to be fine except one seemed a little more stressed than the others (even in the bag on the way home) but nothing too out of the ordinary.

One died overnight and another just died an hour ago. The other four are swimming around together, aren't shy at all and seem fine. I fed them a little and they ate enthusiastically.

When I pulled the second fish out, I looked at it closely and there is a tiny bit of blood coming from its gills and anal area.

My water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: about 1

What could be the problem? Is there something else I can check with my water? Did I buy sick fish? Should I do a water change? I did add Prime to help with any stress.

Please help!

Thanks.

Yes, I did. I let the bag sit for 45 minutes closed in the tank and then slowly added small amounts of the tank water to their bag over the course of an hour. The 4 remaining ones have been doing really well since I first posted, swimming together and occasionally chasing each other. I'm really not sure still why the two died.

My guess in that case is that they were just too stressed. Sometimes it happens. My be they were a recent order at the store and we're still stressed from their initial voyage. Let us know if any of the ones you still have look off.

Thanks! I'm thinking you are right. The other 4 still seem okay, but one of them is especially active now and chasing the others. 2 seem to be holding their own well, but the 4th one has started taking to hiding a little more. I'm hoping it's just their personality differences and maybe adding a few more to their group will help, though I'm afraid to add too many too soon while they're still adjusting.

Well I spoke too soon, I guess. The one that seemed shy has now developed a white spot on its mouth that looks like fungus. I treated the tank with melafix, but if anyone has any other treatment suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

I think I unknowingly bought sick fish from the store, as this tank is brand-new (fully cycled) and they are the very first fish to go in. Very frustrating. Hopefully my little guys pull through. :(

Tank parameters are still the same as in my first post. Should I be changing the water daily to help him heal?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403837608.099202.jpg
Sorry for the poor quality shot, but it was the best I could get.

At this point I myself would be calling y he store and asking if they could at least give me a discount on some med for the fish. Try to keep the water nice and clean.

Agreed on keeping the water extra clean. That alone may clear it up in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your water tests fine, don't do unneeded water changes, that will just put the fish through additional stress and make them more susceptible to disease. Also if you are treating the tank, water changes will dilute the concentration and make dosing it reliably/accurately very difficult.
Whenever treating with medications no water changes until done unless specifically directed by the medications instructions.
Are you sure it's fungus? does it have a cottony look, or is it look like a hard cyst?
It could also be damage from swimming into the glass hard considering where it is located.
If it looks like a pimple or raised cyst, most likely ich
if it looks like it has fluffy, cotton like edges, most likely fungus
if it just looks like swollen/damaged flesh, most likely injury

also have you tested the ph?

also make sure you have a heater in the tank, fish are more susceptible to infections like ick when they are too cold

Day 3 of melafix now and the white spot seems to be looking a just little bit better. I haven't changed the water because of the meds but parameters are still okay.

The spot looks like a hard, raised bump with fuzziness around it, if that makes sense. The fish does hide more than the others (lots of plants and a cave for it), but still comes out enthusiastically at feeding time. I noticed it is chased a little more by the others, but will chase back when they get too aggressive. (Is this normal for head and tail light tetras? Could the bump be an injury from the others?)

I do have a heater, though it's been so hot around here lately that it's barely come on. The temp stays a fairly steady 75-76 or so.

Ph is 8.0 as of yesterday. I know that's not ideal for tetras. :( We have very hard water here, but I have two pieces of driftwood in there to help gradually soften the water.

The other 3 seem to be doing very well. They are active all day and are curious and like to chase each other and explore the tank, and their coloring seems to have gotten a little more vivid since the first day.

I have tetras in 8.2 ph and they seem to be fine. I think keeping it stable is what is important. My water is also very hard, so I mix it 50/50 with RO water and have moderately hard water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just wanted to come back and update. I'm happy to report that the white spot is gone and while that one is still the shyest and hides quite a bit, they all seem to be doing really well! They swim together and eat enthusiastically and their coloring looks really good. I'm hoping that adding in a few more (would like to have 12-14 total) will make them feel even more comfortable.

Thank you all for your advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom