tetras, gourami, and corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themagpie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's about to be 2 weeks since ive had my black neon tetras. They seem happy and aren't showing any signs of stress. However, they still wait at the bottom of the tank and only eat food (flakes crushed into small pieces) when it floats by the pump and is forced to the bottom where they hang out. In other words, they only eat when food comes right to them. The corys do fine getting their share of the food. I eventually would like to add 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis to the aquarium, but im worried that the tetras wont be able to get any food if I do. Do you think they'll eventually learn to eat from the surface? I've also heard that gouramis are semi-agressive. If I were to add them, what steps would i need to take to ensure the other fishs' well being?

-Maggie

What size tank?
If it's at least 10 gallons, a dwarf gourami should be fine with them.
Some tetras may only feed from the middle of the tank. I've had that happen for a little while but they eventually started feeding from the top and even off the substrate.

:eek: wow! :p These speedy replies always amaze me. It's a 15 gal tank. I've read a couple of places that gouramis like to be in groups of 2 or 3. I was wondering (since the tank isnt that big) if 2 or 3 would be a good idea. Also, I was wondering if tetras generally get along with other tetras of the same (or maybe bigger) size (would they maybe even school with them?). And regarding feeding, is there a good way to ensure that a certian fish gets enough (or a specific type of) food in a aquarium with multiple kinds of fish.

thanks again,
Maggie

<update>
one more Q. Are there any fish that are lively or have good personalities that you would recommend for a 15 gal tank. Are gouramis more of a 'mellow' type of fish?

It's usually quite difficult to find any female dwarf gouramis in pet stores. Males are very territorial with each other. If you can get a male and some females or just females, they would probably be ok.
Tetras mostly only school with their own species. They may not school at all if they don't feel that there is any threat in the tank though.
Using a turkey baster or eye dropper usually works to get food to certain spots.

glad to hear that the black neons are doing better. After reading this post, I started thinking back ,and yea, my black neons do the same thing. They still feed from the middle of the tank as the food sinks, the larger two though will eat from the top (they are just over 1" long) but the smaller two will only eat from the middle.

I would say what is happening is fairly normal, can't give you any advice on the gourami's though.

Its been my experience that most of the livebearers are pretty active fish. Guppies, Swordtails, Mollies, and Platies would all fit well with your corys and tetras. However, being active fast fish, they may gobble up food before your slower fish can get to it.

yay! today my tetras seemed much more active once feeding time came. they seem to be really agressive eaters now (hope this is continuing trend). Ah I love my albino corys. Has anyone seen these guys swim upsidedown for short periods of time (mainly when skimming the undersides of leaves and tank decor) ? I was amazed the first time I saw it.

Greetings and Salutations! I saw this thread and it reminds me of my FW tank. I have a 20 gallon long currently with 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Black Neon Tetras, 1 Honey Gourami, and 3 Bronze Corydoras. I originally had 2 Gourami but they constantly fought so I gave one away. Anyways, the Gourami is the dominant fish in the tank. I feed once per day(evening) and the Gourami stays at the top pecking away. The Rasboras and Tetras dine and dash the whole time. Its fun to watch as they take turns racing to the food and then swiming back. All the comotion signals the Corycats to come out of the cave and they start doing there dance. My setup works and has been for 1 year. Good luck and hope this helps!

nnnnnnn

Great to hear the black neons are getting bolder. How many are in your 15 gal? If only 5 or 6 you might want to add a few more. Often getting their numbers up to say, 10 makes them much more confident. Also the suggestion of a few livebearers is a good one. Platies or guppies would be ideal. The tetras see other fish out & about and feel all is well. Plus mine turn into small cichlids at feeding time now. They are not going to let those guppies get first crack at all the good food!!!!! Oh, one other thing. Some floating plant, if you have not already, can also give a sense of security to tetras and other fish, too. I like water sprite, or even just a fake one. lol Good luck!!!!!!

nnnnnnn

Great to hear the black neons are getting bolder. How many are in your 15 gal? If only 5 or 6 you might want to add a few more. Often getting their numbers up to say, 10 makes them much more confident. Also the suggestion of a few livebearers is a good one. Platies or guppies would be ideal. The tetras see other fish out & about and feel all is well. Plus mine turn into small cichlids at feeding time now. They are not going to let those guppies get first crack at all the good food!!!!! Oh, one other thing. Some floating plant, if you have not already, can also give a sense of security to tetras and other fish, too. I like water sprite, or even just a fake one. lol Good luck!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom