Tetras not active

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys my black tetras are very inactive. I have a 40 gallon hexagon tank with live plants, a big canister filter, HOB filter (small one). The tetras are about a week into this tank with 4 platy and a guppy. The other fish are doing awesome. Moving around and eating just fine, but the 4 black tetra just sit near the top or one corner and barley move. I thought maybe it was the oxygen it being a tall tank so I added an airstone and they seem to have gotten worse. Could it be the bubbles scaring them into the corner? I also had 4 cory but they all died slowly for some odd reason. The tank had seeded media moved into the filters from a established 5 year old 55 gallon. The water temp is 85 degrees, is this to much? any help is appreciated!(y)

scratch that now it looks if they have ick. I have had 20 tanks over 9 years and never had this happen to me. I feel really close to giving up.

It is completely treatable! You and the fish can get through this. Are there any critters that really can't handle the medicine? High temps aren't required, as you probably know, it helps speed the process so the fish can heal sooner and the meds can take care of the rest.

It is completely treatable! You and the fish can get through this. Are there any critters that really can't handle the medicine? High temps aren't required, as you probably know, it helps speed the process so the fish can heal sooner and the meds can take care of the rest.
Thanks. I heard you can just treat with heat and salt. What other meds are needed? Also thanks for the reply.

You can def do heat and salt as well, it's up to you. I've never dealt with it myself (knock on wood). Other people here have used Rid Ich which is widely available.

You can def do heat and salt as well, it's up to you. I've never dealt with it myself (knock on wood). Other people here have used Rid Ich which is widely available.

awesome thanks. Should i do any water changes, I know the more the better but I have done them the past 4 days and seen no improvement. :banghead:

Tetras are just not very active fish, like say a goldfish or a guppy.
Would just crank up the temp to 85 and add the appropriate amount of quick cure, you can find it at walmart for pennies.
They should not normally need an airstone, but your gonna want to use it if your medicating with the ick med.
What kinds of Tetras and how big tank? Planted or not? Substrate?
Just curious.

Tetras are just not very active fish, like say a goldfish or a guppy.
Would just crank up the temp to 85 and add the appropriate amount of quick cure, you can find it at walmart for pennies.
They should not normally need an airstone, but your gonna want to use it if your medicating with the ick med.
What kinds of Tetras and how big tank? Planted or not? Substrate?
Just curious.

Hey matt its a 40 gallon hex tank, i have black aquarium gravel from nat geo, It is planted but only with a few plants. They are black tetras.

Going to get medicine in a few minutes. A platy and guppy has died last night. Im getting prima and melafix and some ick meds.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so they didnt have quick but i grabbed a product from jungle called ick clear fizz tablets. I used at half power. Will these tablets kill my biological filter? I also grabbed prima and melafix to kill off any fungal infection the fish may have and to help them heal their fins back. I like these because they are natural.

I'm not sure about the ich tabs killing your BB, but I don't think you should use it with any other meds...at least that's what I've read. Could be wrong though. :p

Thanks. Well its been a few hours and looking at blue water that bait is kept in and the fish seemed to perk up and the spots are going away. The tetra are starting to school and dart around the tank. So fingers crossed they will be good tmmrw.

Ok i have another question the fish are doing great now. But the water is cloudy. I did a 50% water change but the water is still cloudy. Any ideas?

Ok i have another question the fish are doing great now. But the water is cloudy. I did a 50% water change but the water is still cloudy. Any ideas?

I've heard that's what carbon is good for if you don't use it.

I would not go to crazy with the "fixes" im not a big fan of them, more of a money maker for API than good medicine (what do you expect, its just essential oils) but the ick clear should work because it has Acriflavine/Malachite and is effective for ick, velvet, and fungus/microbes.
At higher concentrations this can kill off BB.

Ok so the fish were doing awesome for a while and now they just went crashing back down again. Im not sure what im doing wrong. The tank has went thru its cycle and i even added seeded media as extra assurance. I have done water changes but they dont seem to be geeting better. Im not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Does that mean you still have ich?

Do you still have the temp up high? If it is you should still have the extra air bubbler running. They should be fine at around 78F.

Have you done any pwc? How many, how much water - is it still cloudy or blue?

If you kept treating and adding meds and haven't done a pwc it could be making the water toxic or killed of BB.

What are your readings for ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte?

Ok so the fish were doing awesome for a while and now they just went crashing back down again. Im not sure what im doing wrong. The tank has went thru its cycle and i even added seeded media as extra assurance. I have done water changes but they dont seem to be geeting better. Im not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Some pictures or a video.
Maybe it was not ick or fungus, but another parasite or bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom