Tetras strange behavior!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latvian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a neon-tetra and a cardinal-tetra in a small 11-litters aquarium. I went for a long vacation in the Summer and during that time I had setup a fish feeder that feeds the fish small amount of food daily. When I cam back I found out that most of the food was uneaten (it was stuck on a tube in the middle of the tank) and that the water was very dirty (salt, residues, algae, etc). I changed like 75-80% of the water and cleaned the tank and decoration. Since then, I have noticed that both the tetras been acting very weird. They hide a lot inside the decorations, when they are out and they sense someone coming to the room, the swim super fast and in an erratic way. One of them jumped out from the tank to the floor and it seems like every time I remove the lid it wants to jump again!

The tank is cycled and the ammonia level is very low!

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2015-09-03 11.38.17.jpg
    2015-09-03 11.38.17.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 65
Hello,

I have a neon-tetra and a cardinal-tetra in a small 11-litters aquarium. I went for a long vacation in the Summer and during that time I had setup a fish feeder that feeds the fish small amount of food daily. When I cam back I found out that most of the food was uneaten (it was stuck on a tube in the middle of the tank) and that the water was very dirty (salt, residues, algae, etc). I changed like 75-80% of the water and cleaned the tank and decoration. Since then, I have noticed that both the tetras been acting very weird. They hide a lot inside the decorations, when they are out and they sense someone coming to the room, the swim super fast and in an erratic way. One of them jumped out from the tank to the floor and it seems like every time I remove the lid it wants to jump again!

The tank is cycled and the ammonia level is very low!

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ok. Lots of issues here...

One Neon and one Cardinal? Both of those need at least five of their own kind. I know they look similar but they are different species. And you tank isn't big enough for 5 of anything. I would get a 10 gallon tank and get either 5-7 Neons or 5-7 Cardinals. They are hiding because they are scared, because they arent in a school.

It may not seem like it, but they are living a terrible life in a very very small tank without a school of their own species. Again, they need to school. Again, they need a bigger tank.

If you are gone for more than a week, then feed the fish while you are gone. If its 7 days or less, they don't need to be fed. They really don't need all that food, and two tiny fish like that would eat about 2 flakes of food. Barely anything. You were most definitely overfeeding.

You should be feeding once every other day, a ting amount, and doing 50% water changes at least 2 times a week in a tank that small.

The Ammonia level should be ZERO, otherwise the tank isn't cycled.

Suggestions:

-get a 10 gallon or bigger tank
-after that, get more of each type of fish
-do more water changes
-feed less
-don't use automatics feeders
-get a filter if you don't have one
-get a 10 gallon or bigger tank
-after that, get more of each type of fish

After all that, it will be a lot more successful!!

:)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

They are lacking adequate swimming space and the neccesary company of their own kind; both are causing stress.

If a larger tank isn't an option can you return the fish? If so you could use this tank for a betta or some shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom