The air stone does what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was talking to a PetSmart employee this afternoon about some difficulties I'm having with a betta sorority. At one point, we got around to talking about air stones, and this employee tried to convince me that the air pump is putting out PURE oxygen because it's MAKING the oxygen. She even went so far as to say if you put on in a sealed container, suck out the air and run the pump, it will fill the container with oxygen. She actually believes these $10 pumps are MAKING O2. Over and over I keep trying to ask "where is the oxygen coming from" and she keeps saying its being generated by the pump, that the pump is NOT just pushing room air through the pump.

Well why hasn't anyone told NASA about these devices. And to think they have been wasting all the weight taking compressed O2 into outerspace with them. They could have just taken a couple of these aquarium pumps. Typical government waste.

HAHA I can't wait to work at Petsmart.

If those produce pure O2 then the human race is saved! :D

LOL ....

It is kind of sad tho to see people with little understanding of simple physics or science .....

i want mine ordered to produce c02 instead
no refill tank just some infinite amount of co2

If I am not mistaken there are air pumps that actually convey such a message within their marketing, even on the box itself? I find that most of the time such employees just read off the marketing information because they either don't know any better or are told to :rolleyes:

On a related topic, anyone seen the bottled water brand that advertises that it contains added oxygen?

Oxygen/Ozone injection into bottled water (and other products) has been around for quite some time and an industry standard. The new 'sales pitch' seems to be SUPER oxygenated water, raising the level into the 200+ppm range.

In addition I believe ozone has been used in the aquarium field for quite some time as well as an oxidizing agent. If I remember correctly, I remember someone on this forum filling me in on it.

Ozone as an oxidizing agent makes some sort of sense. I'm talking about a product advertised to idiots that seemed to imply that pure oxygen, dissolved in the water, would be available to the human body.

If I am not mistaken there are air pumps that actually convey such a message within their marketing, even on the box itself? I find that most of the time such employees just read off the marketing information because they either don't know any better or are told to :rolleyes:

The thing was, as we were initially talking about my betta issues, she shounded quit knowledgable and had an air of supiriority (regarding fish knowledge) about her. So I was just flabbergasted when she came out with this.

An infinite oxygen source!?!?! Suddenly im not so worried about cutting down all the trees now! LOL this is really sad

Remember: "Common sense isn't that common."

P.S. Maybe they could read the words "air stone" or "air pump" on the box.

The new 'sales pitch' seems to be SUPER oxygenated water, raising the level into the 200+ppm range.

I've seen that super-oxygenated water marketed for bettas at $4 a liter at the lfs.

Some one must have forgotten to tell marketing that betta can breath air! :)

The amount of oxygen you get in a single breath is approximately 50x the 'added' O2 in the fancy water bottles. Don't waste your money.

Back
Top Bottom