The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
all i want to know is...

i just seal my 150 tall tank,
i just filled the whole thing up with water
i fish net all the floating particles
i have my 55 gallon hand on filter running right now and have been for 5 hrs straight so far and counting.

do i really need to empty and refill the tank again??
or is it safe to add the gravel and fish??
its not new gravel its the one i currently have in my 55 gallon that all my fishes are in??

someone please help me or give me some advice?? anyone??

If ur adding all those fish to ur 150g, i wud add 50% of the gravel into ur new tank with some of the decor too...it will help seed the new tank and speed up the cycle of ur new tank too.

all i want to know is...

i have my 55 gallon hand on filter running right now and have been for 5 hrs straight so far and counting.

its not new gravel its the one i currently have in my 55 gallon that all my fishes are in??

I'm a little confused. You have a 55 gallon that is fully set up and cycled and you're about to add a 150 gallon?

Have you begun to cycle the tank at all (adding ammonia, etc...)? If the tank is not cycled, it is not safe for fish.

I would recommend reading the guide from the beginning and use some of the filter media from the smaller tank to seed the new one.

Am I on track with what is going on?

The fact that you have material from the other tank will help you fishless cycle your new tank quickly, but be careful not to remove too much from your old tank at once because it can cause a mini cycle. Only take a small bit at a time.

Sort of off topic...but I just looked at the page on my PC (I'm usually on the app), and it shows the page views. Check this out, I wrote this thread on April 12th...it's had over 7,200 views in this time! Unreal. Hopefully that leads to a few fish not dying from ammonia poisoning. Thanks guys!

all i want to know is...

I'm a little confused. You have a 55 gallon that is fully set up and cycled and you're about to add a 150 gallon?

Have you begun to cycle the tank at all (adding ammonia, etc...)? If the tank is not cycled, it is not safe for fish.

I would recommend reading the guide from the beginning and use some of the filter media from the smaller tank to seed the new one.

Am I on track with what is going on?

Did we get you sorted out? Did I understand your question?

On an un-cycling related note...I think my dog may have just eaten one of my Amano shrimp. He came out of the bedroom crunching on something and I can only find 2 of the 3 shrimp. Surprised he didn't go to the fridge for cocktail sauce.

I got a question regarding ammonia source products...

Has anyone tried Ammonium Hydroxide or Ammonia Carbonate/Bicarbonate (aka "Baker's Ammonia"?

I'm curious since after reading the faq and googling "pure ammonia" which links to countless stories of disappointment I looked for derivitives and found these two for sale online at The Science Company® -- and they're both food grade pure.

EGMono said:
I got a question regarding ammonia source products...

Has anyone tried Ammonium Hydroxide or Ammonia Carbonate/Bicarbonate (aka "Baker's Ammonia"?

I'm curious since after reading the faq and googling "pure ammonia" which links to countless stories of disappointment I looked for derivitives and found these two for sale online at The Science Company® -- and they're both food grade pure.

I could be wrong, but I believe ammonium hydroxide is what we all use. Pure ammonia is actually a gas and they bubble it through distiller water in order to bottle and sell it. I'm not familiar with the powder, but it seems like it wouldn't mix well.

Hey Pigeonfood, my girl LOVES your tank set up. She thinks that little water wheel is the cutest thing she's ever seen, lol. Looking at the picture, do you have 2 HOB filters? Do you have a heater in there? I can't tell what that thing on the right is.

Hey Pigeonfood, my girl LOVES your tank set up. She thinks that little water wheel is the cutest thing she's ever seen, lol. Looking at the picture, do you have 2 HOB filters? Do you have a heater in there? I can't tell what that thing on the right is.

ye the thing on the far right is the heater...tell ur wifey spanks!, i love the wheel...when it works, i think there is something stuck in it, usually i just mess with it and it works, need to go do that when i get home tonight....i want more plants, i spent 56 bucks on live plants when i first set my tank up but the gf wont be too happy if i go and get more since out of 12 plants, only 2 survived. fake plants ftw if i can convince her that the fish need them for "maintenance purposes" lol

if u notice the roof on the house there is a bridge on it....plz dont ask me why there is a bridge on top of a house, didnt know where to put it so i left it there, i figured its a win win either way, either fish like or i remove it when i get another tank (QT) and i use if for seeding....yes even an irish man can think without needing booze lol

I could be wrong, but I believe ammonium hydroxide is what we all use. Pure ammonia is actually a gas and they bubble it through distiller water in order to bottle and sell it. I'm not familiar with the powder, but it seems like it wouldn't mix well.

Ammonia = Ammonium Hydroxide. Gotcha. Sorry, I'm just used to the word meaning something slightly different. Anhydrous Ammonia is what I'm used to hearing the gaseous form referred to, but it's all good. :)

The powdered Baker's Ammonia? I can't imagine it not mixing, I read that there are some cookie recipes that can't do without it. ;)

Yes two HOB filters, the left is the penguin bio-wheel 150B and the right is the one i got to start this campaign lol which is an aqueon quietflow 50, when i do finally complete this cycle im going to remove one of them to my QT and put the canister.

On an un-cycling related note...I think my dog may have just eaten one of my Amano shrimp. He came out of the bedroom crunching on something and I can only find 2 of the 3 shrimp. Surprised he didn't go to the fridge for cocktail sauce.

ok im confused? ur dog is how big?? lol last i heard u had shrimp in ur tank right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom