The amazing flying fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ever since I brought my hatchets home, I have been so careful to keep the lids closed and every hole plugged. And as far as I can tell, no one has made an escape attempt. Until last night. At feeding time, one of the fish, I don't know who, always splashes a little water at me, actually gets water ON me. I think thats pretty good aim for a fish. Well, last night was no different. Only this time instead of water, a hatchet comes flying out of the tank. Luckily I was standing right there and as he flopped on the floor I caught him in mid-flop and got him right back into the tank. Other than a torn tail, he seems to be ok. "whew!" :lol:

Hehe.....nice one Meredith!

I guess we've all been there. I had to pick up two keyhole cichlids from the floor when I was trying to catch them to move.

8)

It's just possible that your hatchet just wanted to get to know you better (you know, that "up close and personal" variety). :wink: Fish tend to see us only through the distorted image of the glass and water. Your hatchet obviously wanted a better view of you. :D

I agree with Billsgate...nice catch!

Its in times like these where you wish you had a video camera set up constantly recording your fish tank. That would have been a neat one to grab on video. The other day 2 of my little albino bn plecos were munching on a slice of cucumber I had clipped to the side of the tank. There was one on each side, and they were both attacking the middle of the cucumber. There was a spot that had been eaten the whole way through and with the positioning of the plecos and they way thier mouths move, it literally looked like they were "sucking face." That would have been a neat video!

Our betta girls get so excited at feedings they sometimes jump out of the tank, even though we keep the water down about 2" for just this reason.
Them girls can jump!

I've heard that our Butterflyfish will attempt to jump from the tank, but I have yet to see it happen. We keep the lid closed at all times, I'm dreading doing a water change.

Back
Top Bottom